New To Clay :where Can I Source Information For Hand Building Tiny Figurines

I used to make tiny lifelike figurines( mainly birds but also lizards etc) in 'polymer clay/cold porcelain' but would like to give real clay a go. Can someone point me in the right direction regarding suitable clay( would need to be glazed), firing and or any instruction videos books etc regarding the procedure.Cheers

Hi Judy

I would recommend you head into the Ceramic Arts Daily part of the site ... You will end up with hours of great info and videos on working with clay. You will also find that your choices are limitless so don't box yourself in. There are hundreds of clays that will suit your ideas ... and almost as many ways to get there.

Just click the button on the top left of the page and get ready to have fun!

Your choice of clay and glazes will be dictated by the firing temperature you plan to use, low-fire (cones 06 to 04), mid-range (cone 6), or high fire (cone 10), or somewhere in-between.  For clays, you will likely want one that has no grog in it so that you still get a smooth surface after working the clay.  If we knew your location, we might be able to help with specific clay bodies . . . some are national in distribution, others are more regional.  And, your firing temperature. 

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, I'm also trying to make ceramic (or perhaps porcelain?) figurines. I can't figure out how to attach a picture here, but I'm inspired by ones from a company called Small Wild. I've researched a lot but am still sort of unclear as to which ceramic clay would be best for this - I think the closest so far is the Amaco Lowfire Plastic Earthenware Versa Clay. Any advice?

Archived