making kiln furniture

Any recipes for kiln furniture? I have an extruder and thought i would give it a try. I thought I saw something one time using fireclay and grog and something else. Any tips would be useful. I dont know if I can find exotic things here so I need to keep the recipe as simple as possible. I cannot find powdered fireclay here in Portugal or distributors in Spain. I must order it from the UK.

Any recipes for kiln furniture? I have an extruder and thought i would give it a try. I thought I saw something one time using fireclay and grog and something else. Any tips would be useful. I dont know if I can find exotic things here so I need to keep the recipe as simple as possible. I cannot find powdered fireclay here in Portugal or distributors in Spain. I must order it from the UK.

There are a number of good books to own, at the top of the list is probably 'Pioneer Pottery' by Michael Cardew which provides recipes and processes for making just about anything in the studio. Another great book to have is 'The Kiln Book' by Frederick Olsen, though I can't remember if it has a furniture recipe in it or not off hand.

I have not tested the recipe below, but intend to when I have the chance. Test and use this recipe at your own risk. It came from a forum post. It's from a reputable potter, but none the less, testing is always key.

KILN SHELF / POST BODY (^11)

Mullite(Kyanite) 60

CalcinedKaolin 20

OM#4 10

Talc10

====================

KILN WASH (Combo)

Alumina hydrate 40

EPK 30

Kyanite (35 mesh) 8

Silica 22

Fills irregularities, cleans easily.