What That System With The Removable Center Section Do You Like

it's time to buy more bats. 

Does anyone have any experience with the bat systems that have a removable square section in the middle? I've seen some that people have made by just cutting a square out of a regular plastic bat the size of a 12 inch ceramic tile.  Does that work well? What other approaches have you seen, tried,  bought?

What are the pros and cons on these bats?

I've made several using 6" terra cotta wall tile and lath strips. No glaze on the tile. Floor tile seems to be too irregular in thickness across the individual tiles. I leave the corners open to allow an old dinner knife to pass to remove the tile after throwing. Like the fact hat the tile allows the form to pop off. Do watch out for the corners, though!

have used them for years.  the first one (about 1995) wore out eventually, so i got a new one and thought putting a waterproof coating would help.  that extra thickness made the hole too small for my bats.  i made the bats with a table saw from a 4x8 sheet of Duron.  had so many, i gave half away.  somebody do the math, 5 inch squares.

use them for everything but big stuff.  small enough to fit almost anywhere.  it is a good deal if you throw a lot.  and have access to Duron and a saw.

I have one, universal with 9 bats. The inserts are square and 6 inches. I bought extra inserts too. It is the bat that I use most often. Surprising so much of what I make fits on these bats, mugs, bowls, and vases.

I have to say it is probably my favorite tool. I have plenty of other bats, plaster, plastic, wood, very large ones, too, but these are my favorite.

I use the same ones that Foxden uses.  I think they are wonderbats.  I have numerous inserts.  Had I known about making my own things when I started, I probably would have done that.  I love Oldlady's idea.  My friend bought the ones with the round inserts at NCECA.   She loves those as well.  If you are not comfortable or trained in scooping that pot off the wheelhead, those bat systems are awesome.

Roberta

I use the North Star Universal Bat system. Mine has gotten heavy use for over 10 years, and now some of the inserts are just starting to show wear. Most of the inserts look perfect. Highly recommend it.

ok, here are three pictures.  the white clay should be washed off but it was the end of the season and i was frantic to leave.  the bat size is 5 and a half inches.  the original holder has corners that allow a tool to lift the bat from the holder.  works great.

the dark one on the table is one i had cut by a carpenter in florida who owned a laser driven system.  he cut it from a single bat.  a great idea.

if i ever use all these in one day they will carry me out on a stretcher.

post-2431-0-67238200-1462233424_thumb.jpg

post-2431-0-17943800-1462233435_thumb.jpg

post-2431-0-67139000-1462234237_thumb.jpg

post-2431-0-67238200-1462233424_thumb.jpg

post-2431-0-17943800-1462233435_thumb.jpg

post-2431-0-67139000-1462234237_thumb.jpg

Most major Ceramic Suppliers sell them. Not sure if we are to promote stores on the forum but I bought mine from Clay King because I pass them on my way to Atlanta several times a year and that saves shipping. $60 for the base with 9 inserts, another $20 buys 6 more inserts. You should dry them standing on edge and they fit better after the first use. Instructions explain optimizing fit if I recall, but I have no issues with warping or fit.

I have seen home made systems with cut boards, bisque tile inserts, etc. They all seem to work well. You should look for a unit that is level so your hands don't get beat by the spinning corners of the square inserts. Universal is flush.

Doc- try Home Depot or Lowes. I bought a small case for less than $30-, but that was several years ago. Forget how many square feet it was, but remember that each square foot is 4 tiles. Nice part is no warping. Think I've only lost 2 tiles over the years. That was from breakage thank to a rambunctious student tossing his books down in my work table. Lath does wear over time, but a paper shim solves the rattle problem.

Archived