How To Install Skutt Dual Input Digital Pyrometer?

I just purchased a Skutt digital pyrometer and have no idea how to install it. I have a pyrometer hole punched in my kiln jacket. I know I'm supposed to drill a hole in there but how far do I insert this 7 inch thermocoupler? If I just insert it an inch or two it will fall out. Do I keep it in all during the firing process? There are some screws and wires  attached to the end of the thermocoupler. What do I do with those? Sorry I am such a dummy about this. Any help most appreciated. Please address responses as if you were speaking to to a mentally challenged 6 year old so I have a chance of understanding! Thanks so much!

I have a dual Skutt digital pyrometer for my big Skutt kiln and I just use a couple of peep hole plugs.  This was suggested by a Skutt technician,  I cut the end off of the peep hole plug and stuffed some kiln fiber inside the extra space in the Skutt plug. The end of the plug is so soft I just ground if off with a file, I think rough sandpaper could do it.   I slide the pyrometer into the peep hole plug and then put it in the peep hole when I want to check the kiln temp.  This locates the pyrometer to the depth you need it,  just remember to leave space for it inside.  I usually don't put mine in until the end of the glaze firing, keeping the pyrometer in the entire firing shortens its life.  Another way is to get a pyrometer holder you drill your hole about the middle of the kiln and screw it on the outside, this holds the pyrometer at the right distance.  I have one of these on a smaller Paragon, it's about 10 inches from the kiln sitter.  The one thing that I worry about is the vent system pulling air from it so I have made a little ceramic plug to leave in it until I am ready to check the temp.  If you decide to go the holder route and can't find any I have a few laying around, I would be glad to send you one.  I'm not sure about the loose screws and wires mine came assembled, can you post a picture of it? Did you get a digital controller with it, if you didn't it sounds like you just have a replacement pyrometer.     Denice

Archived