How To Spot A Good Pot, Part 2

I like the website.  They appear to do a good job of promoting the potters and artists they represent.

Their ceramic selection has been narrowed to functional pottery with a consistant asthetic.  

No RAKU pieces, and their glaze definitions did not include an explanation of RAKU glazing.

The pieces may be priced to match their level of marketing.

I spent entirely to much time on this site this morning.

Agree with those who have said that they seem to be doing a good job of promoting for the potters/artists and that it is undoubtedly just marketing.

The pieces they sell are without a doubt what they have based their 'How to spot a good pot' series on. I think this as much as anything goes to show how much tastes differ. Across the 20+ pots they have photo's of across the two articles, there are only four or five I would have in my home (hence in my opinion, a good pot). In fairness, nearly everything looks different when it is actually in front of you though. 

I think in looking at the Goldmark examples. it's well to keep in mind that this is pottery informed by the UK and European studio potter traditions.  That is to say, process is probably more important to these potters than it is to many American potters-- the emphasis is on wood-fired pots, high-fired pots, and pots that partake of the Asian origins of the studio potter movement there.

These biases actually reflect my own, because I am self-taught, and when I started, Leach and Cardew were my long-distance literary mentors. 

I was in Gainesville, FL last weekend to attend a son's graduation, and we went to the university art museum.  They have a decent collection of Asian historic and contemporary wares, and seeing it reminded me of the roots of my own work.  I saw a few Shimaoka pots, as well as Swankalok, Song, and Korean examples.  Pretty wonderful!

Archived