Relays

ronfire

Planning on installing a Genisis controller on my Skutt 1027.

Is a solid state relay or standard relay the best choice for a kiln and why? I know mercury is best but $$$$

Would you go with a 3 zone control with a Skutt kiln?

I have two older Orton controllers, one uses a solid state relay and the other a mechanical one. The solid state is silent while the mechanical clunks on and off during the firing. The sound doesn't bother me because it is located in another building. Something to consider if your kiln is close by.

I also have an L&L kiln with three zones. Of course it is wired with a thermocouple and relay controlling each zone. Ideal for more even glaze firings.

Unless you actually wire your kiln with thermocouples in each zones, multiple relays probably will all go on and off at the same time. They will be lower amp relays than one single one and might last longer. Relays and thermocouples do fail.

If you go with zone control, each section of the kiln needs its own relay, which means having the control box right on the kiln, which means dealing with the heat to keep the electronics cool. Skutt boxes have a heat baffle. You could build a zone control system that is wall mounted and uses the existing manual control boxes, but you'd have a lot more wires running from the box to the kiln, and you'd still have to figure out a way to keep the relays cool because they would need to be at the kiln. If you go with an external-type controller then you can use one 50 amp relay. Solid state will last longer for sure, and can increase element life as well, but they also need to be kept cool, and will need the cooling fins which take up a lot more room. You'll just have to decide if they're worth the money or not.

Archived