Qotw: As A Discerning Potter, When And Why Do You Buy Handmade Pottery?

Standing in for Evelyne again:

I often have purchased mugs, or plates or other small pack friendly items when I travel as part of my souvenirs for the trip. These get displayed, and often used through the years to remind me of good times. I have also bought pieces from artists that I have heard about and admired their work over the years, when I have met them, or see them at a conference or other venue. These items even though inexpensive remind me of them, and their styles. I have also purchased pieces when I have been at shows or other events where I have been majorly impressed by some aspect or other of a potter's display. These remind me of a style, or a technique that I really relate to.  

So, when do you separate your hard earned cash from yourself to buy a piece, and why? Do you only barter with other potters? Do you not purchase other pieces as you figure you can make it yourself?

best,

Pres 

I like to buy under the pretense of using the purchase as a gift for someone else...and if I wait long enough, that someone else is often me.  Back on this planet, however, I buy pieces that I want to display in my home more than any other reason.

-Paul

I usually buy small pieces from artist I know or that I have heard of, somehow I feel connected to there work.  I bought a Van Sickel mug last weekend at a estate sale.  I had heard about him,  I knew he was a old hippie like me and had been a well known potter in CA for decades.  I also buy a lot of pottery from the southwest and Mexico,  I like the look, feel, and simplicity of it with the elaborate designs in contrast.  My husband gets irritated with me when I buy pottery.  He says "you could make that" and I say to him " I know but it's not the same pot."  Denice

I buy pieces usually from the makers I know. I like to have a piece of the work with me because I like them. Our strongest work shares our souls. I like to have those souls in close contact. As Chris says, I was lucky to live near Archie Bray 280 miles...but they brought their Christmas sale to Billings. I have a great collection from there, too.

Marcia

We are very fortunate to have the North Carolina Potters Conference bring in great potters from all over the world to demonstrate, so I have a large collection of work purchased from their displays.

I buy pots made by many potters I know because as Marcia says, it's nice to have them nearby.

I buy pots at NCECA venues .... I buy pots that need to come home with me ....

... My husband has long ago given up on mentioning that I "could make that" because he does love the espresso mugs I buy for him.

I sometimes will trade pots with friends but otherwise, I pay the asking price for pots.

my house is full of other potter's work.  when someone new asks where mine are, i have a hard time finding the few i have made.  yes, i paid for them.  some were in shops, unrecognized and inexpensive.  a few are gifts.  i still hear "you could make that"  and cannot explain what they cannot see.

Some years ago, I moved into a flat above a shop that sold ceramics. The shop closed down at the same time and the landlord just piled up the stock at the back of the shop. I asked him what he was going to do with it all; he replied that if the potters didn't collect themby the following week-end, he was taking them all to the tip. The week passed, no-one collected anything, so I spoke to the landlord again. He said I was welcome to take anything I liked, no charge, (not like him at all) and the rest was going to the tip in an hour's time. So I got a big box and filled it with all the pieces I liked. In those days, I knew even less about ceramics than I do now, but I still use and look at those pieces with affection. And what else do they have in common? I enjoy them, that's what.

And that's why I buy a piece of pottery. Because I enjoy that piece. Simple. Nowadays, I'm getting close to saying 'I could make that', but I couldn't - no matter how skilled I might become. I could make something similar, but there would always be something different between the piece that artist made and the piece you or I or anyone else here, made.

Apart from this rescue lot, I always pay the asking price - it's his/her living.

Girts

Most of the art I have purchased are oil paintings: Dale Gallon is a favorite because of historical references. While in Williamsburg, VA. back in 2007 I did buy a small Dresden piece. Have a few old Rosewood Pottery pieces.  Few years back wife and I bought a creamer/sugar server done in black with gold leaf because it was very unique. Bought a miniature vase at an estate sale done in jade green with hand painted lace. Supposedly it was purchased in Japan in 1946- really need to get it checked out. Had bought several 40+ oz coffee mugs until I started making my own. Have a curio cabinet full of older Fenton glass pieces: my wife seems to like hobnail and cobalt blue cake plates. Always looking for that very unique piece.

Nerd

For me the things have to fit with a size, shape and design that resonates with me for some reason or another. If I truly love a pot I don't even think about whether or not I could make the same thing because I want that pot made by that person. (I seem to have an instinct for the most expensive pots, of course.) We've been so broke since my son was born that only recently have I started to feel I can start a "real" pottery collection. My plan is to replace all my cheap mass produced mugs one by one with beautiful work that I love. 

When I was traveling and doing shows a lot I always kept an eye out for something that caught my eye and talked to me.  It wasn't always ceramic but it always touched me in some undefinable way.  I greatly admire others talent and would happily barter or pay cash for a the opportunity to have a  piece of the artist in my home or studio to admire and be inspired by. 

Lately the traveling for shows has been put on the shelf for awhile but I enjoy the pottery videos on YouTube and the Web especially the Koren Masters and African potters.  The talent and resulting works it produces is so overwhelming and diverse I would need a LARGE museum like building to put everything I would like to be able to afford in. Perhaps someday PCH will ring my door bell with the $7000 weekly for life. :rolleyes:

I purchase from potters that I respect, admire, have met, and just flat out love their work.  I use most of the functional pieces, some are given as gifts and now my husband has a lovely collection of whiskey cups!  (small, easy to pack!)  I don't think I have ever traded with a potter, although I have traded with jewelers, and photographers, etc. 

I just love the thought of their process!

Roberta

I am pretty tight when it comes to purchasing ceramics. It has to be a well made piece and something I would have difficultly replicating. I like pieces that are from a known artist, famous one even better (bragging rights and all joking). I do make auction and thrift store buys from time to time. Some of my favorite tea pots just have a year mark or initial don't know who or where they came from but I could never part with them. My Japanese coworkers know I light up like a Christmas tree with the gift of a tomobako (wood box that accompanies a well made piece of Japanese pottery). I do trade with others.

My wife and I enjoy and collect glass art and will spend to purchase something we both enjoy.

Like others have said, I buy pieces from potters I know.  But before I knew anything about ceramics, ever since I earned my own money, I was buying handmade mugs.  That habit continues until today and it is in part the act of fondling a display of wonderful mugs and finding the one that is just perfect in my hand that entices me.  It is for that reason that I make all my mugs slightly different, so everyone can find the perfect fit.

Sometimes I buy an interesting piece to see how it was made but then I don't even try to replicate it- seems like it is enough to just admire & enjoy.  Enjoy is the key whether its my own or others work, same for paintings or anything else that I want to decorate my nest with!

I like to use other potters mugs ,bowls

We have at least 50 to 75 in kitchen

They are double stacked

I buy and trade for them or I used to as we cannot fit much more.

I have about two of my own in kitchen

We use my plates and a few bowls

I.m like you pres reminds me of the folks whom I met and bought or traded from.

Been doing it for past 4 decades

I will do it agin this week as I,m going to a far away friends studio soon

... I want that pot made by that person.

That "want" is what motivates me to part with spendoolies from my extremely tight budget. As such, I only have a few purchased pieces, all quite small, but treasured none-the-less. If I "have" to have it, then indeed, I must have it!

I find it interesting that I never buy a piece that is not associated with contact/some familiarity, with the artist. That connection, however tenuous, seems to be of essence in the possession of the object and its place in my tiny collection. 

Archived