Sign in to follow this  
47runner

Greenware Lid Stuck

Now this is embarrassing. I made a cute little lidded jar and the lid is stuck on the greenware and I cannot get it off. Talk about a tight fit. can anyone suggest a way to get the lid off without my ruining the greenware? I assume that if I just fire it the thing will explore... no escape route for the air inside. any suggestions?

Nope, it won't explode if you fire it with the lid on IF it is totally dry. More chance of getting it free after its bisqued since you could give it a gentle tap then. I always fire lids in place, keeps them and the pot true.

Hi, and welcome to the forums  :)

I make a lot of boxes and always fire my lids on. It helps keep the fit true as mentioned. If it were me I would make sure it's COMPLETELY dry then bisque as usual.

Welcome and good luck!

T

it isn't air that makes a pot explode.  it is water. don't fire it and  you can always put that particular pot on the shelf labelled "don't do this again".  we all have one. (several)

You can fire a bubble. I've done it. It just get more spherical.

Your lid might be stuck as greenware... did you put it one while the clay was still a little wet? Next time, put a dusting of corn starch between the pieces. You can get a good fit that doesn't stick this way.

Helpful suggestions, thanks. My "don't do this again" shelf is getting pretty full. So I will try to fire it and see what happens. Bone dry, of course, as everyone suggested and that's one thing I know!

Have a great day.

Don't forget that "bone dry" on the outside could still be damp on the inside.  And if the lid is so tight you can't remove it, the dampness is going to have a hard time to get out.  This is why the urban myth of "must not fire spheres without an air hole" come about.  As said above, it's nothing to do with the air expanding, just with how long it takes to completely dry the inside.

Good luck