Pottery Project Ideas For Kids

Hey all,

I teach in a small rural K-7 school and we are starting a ceramics unit next week. I will be teaching handbuilding techniques and am looking forward to getting muddy with the kids : )

We have time to do 2-3 pieces/projects. (I'm thinking a coil, a slab, and a sculptural/free form - but open to suggestions)

I was trying to decide on some neat ideas to share with them, as they have done mugs and bowls in the past with previous teachers. I have a few things in mind, but want to hear what you all think kids would enjoy building... there might be little gems in there that I haven't thought of yet : )

Thanks in advance!

I taught a summer camp and their favorite was whistles. They went a little nuts testing them in unison before their parents came for the reception. They can learn pinching, and sculpting creatures incorporated into the body go the whistle. The functionality of the sound is also a good learning experience.

Marcia

The anthropomorphic mug.

Some part of mug creates a handle, as in you are making a mug out of a cylinder and the handle becomes the trunk of an elephant. Giraffes are also good. Snakes-too easy.

TJR.

I still remember in 2nd or 3rd grade we made wall pockets. They told us to bring things to make impressions on the clay ahead of time. I brought a whole bunch of my plastic barrettes.They rolled out a slab, let us texture it, then folded a portion of it up padded with crumpled newspaper to hold a pocket and let us stamp it a bit more around the pocket part and back. After it was fired we just painted it with acrylic paint. My mom had it in her room for probably ten or fifteen years. 

post-2190-0-80959200-1459986145_thumb.jpg

I did African masks using slabs and coils with 6th and 7th graders as an art project. Low fire clay; Amaco' Teacher's Choice low fire glazes. Masks were build upon a cardboard mold. Slabs were pre-rolled and kids could choose one of three different shapes for their mask and use a cardboard pattern to cut it out. Left over clay was used for features -- eye brows, nose, lips.

post-2190-0-80959200-1459986145_thumb.jpg

Archived