Kiln Shelves And Stilts

Lana

For an electric kiln 1/2 to 1†up from the floor but not so high that the shelf blocks the lowest element on the sides of the kiln. 

Welcome to the forums  :)

This is the key point. I read that you should put them at 1'', but if I did 1'' in my kiln I would be blocking the lowest element and it would be in the middle of my shelve. So I do 1/2''. 

I always put taller stuff on the bottom of my kiln if I can, try to put the middle full of the flatter items or shorter cups/mugs.

I have my bottom shelf raised up a bit more, because otherwise, the shelves always seem to meet, where the thermocouples stick out.  Having three thermocouples leads to very consistent/ accurate firing, but it also leads to a lot of careful planning, when loading the kiln...

If you are using an undermounted vent, then 1/2 inch to 1 inch is the right answer.

I use an overhead vent hood, which means I don't need air to flow out the bottom of my kiln, and therefore my bottom shelf sits directly on the kiln floor. That extra 1/2 to 1 inch of stacking height comes in handy all the time.

Archived