What Is This Stuff?

oldlady

mixed up a batch of glaze for a friend.  it had red iron oxide in it.  lot of it, almost 20%.  there was nothing else in the mix that was dark enough to hide this stuff that i could not get through the 60 mesh sieve.  it is black and looks like fine sand.  some was stuck in the mesh and i had to wipe it out with a sponge when i finished the glaze.  the RIO is the spanish RIO i bought well before 2000.  there was a lot more of it that got tossed into the yard.

have make this glaze before and it is a beautiful color but i do not remember the sieve problem.  

post-2431-0-34340700-1459795358_thumb.jpg

post-2431-0-34340700-1459795358_thumb.jpg

I dont know, but it looks like granular manganese or granular rutile used to add speckles to clay bodies and glazes in the ^6 range. I don't know as regular iron oxide would have that in it unless contaminated in some way.

best,

Pres

When I use a low quality iron oxide or a more natural iron oxide I get those when I screen my larger batches. When I use a more synthetic iron oxide I never get any of that stuff.

So I am guessing it is a result of the spanish iron oxide. I also have a high purity iron oxide that doesn't give that as well. It is interesting to think about the differences between them. I also get a lot more speckles when I use a lower quality iron oxide compared to a synthetic one. Just a few things I have learned over the last few years. I have tried about every iron oxide I could find from pottery suppliers. My favorite is axners blend. It results in the brightest reds and no speckling when used in light glazes like creams or whites. 

Archived