Sign in to follow this  
Chris Campbell

Do You Like Crackled Glazes?

glazenerd    816

Cool stuff Chris. I know many crystalline glazers who use this technique: or variations thereof. Actually looks to me as intentional glaze/clay interface checking (crackle). Then he is coming back and rubbing metal oxides in and refiring to 1350-1475. Look closely at the crackle areas: I see copper, manganese, iron, etc. Although, his process is off the charts-- exciting.

Nerd

Girts    32

Wow! Aren't they beautiful. And he's about an hour away from us ... I feel a visit coming on ...

Girts

Girts    32

Stained glass! That's it! It has the same intensity and glow! Well spotted Giselle5. (Whatever happened to Giselle4? Or 3? Or 2? Is there a mass de-giseller on the loose?) Sorry - I digress.

Girts

rayaldridge    276

Lovely work, though I am a bit dubious about the claim that he invented the technique.  Potters have been emphasizing crackle using oxides for a very long time.

oldlady    1,323

this is intentional crackle where the artist wants it.  if he found a way to do that more power to him. :D

Chris Campbell    1,081

Lovely work, though I am a bit dubious about the claim that he invented the technique. Potters have been emphasizing crackle using oxides for a very long time.

Got to agree with Ray here ... No potter should ever claim to have "invented" any technique until they walk through a lot of ancient pottery displays ... Real or in books ... You see everybody's work ...only made about 3,000 years ago.

oldlady    1,323

agreed, chris. (cannot belive that two authors claim to have written the ceramic "bible")