But as Mark says, pottery doesn't go off. Your style of work may change, but if it was a good pot when you made it, it's a good pot now. Also, there could be people hunting high and low for a replacement for one that they broke, or one in that style. So if it ain't broke, why cheapen it?

Girts

true, matthew,  a friend has a tray i made many years ago.  to me, the color was terrible.  i have seen that tray since the day i had a different expectation and it is really beautiful.  it is simply brown.

I've just experienced this, starting out and doing some glaze tests I was particularly pleased with a lovely speckled blue jug but quite a few friends and family hardly gave it a glance. They all loved a green one which I was disappointed with.

I am beginning to think that the things potters and non-potters love are quite different!

Joe

I've just experienced this, starting out and doing some glaze tests I was particularly pleased with a lovely speckled blue jug but quite a few friends and family hardly gave it a glance. They all loved a green one which I was disappointed with.

I am beginning to think that the things potters and non-potters love are quite different!

Joe

I think that over the years of making work, we start to treasure the 'different' pieces ... those that have flaws or unusual marks or colors. My favorite pieces only sell to people who want the one I like the best ... Otherwise they would walk right past them.

Being new to the idea of selling my work, (up until now I've been giving it away as gifts) whenever I'm in someone's home and see a piece of pottery or ceramic art, I ask them what prompted them to buy the piece and how much they paid for it.

I had recently donated a few pieces for a charity's silent auction and they sold well, which made me happy, but the real kicker was when another person who was at the auction asked me if I could make her a larger version of one of the pieces that she had missed the bid on. She wanted it in a custom color to fit in her bathroom. The piece she was interested in was one of those diffusion jars that disseminates fragrance through bamboo reeds. I'll be making that for her the next time I'm in the studio.

Archived