Qotw: What Is Your Excuse For Not Getting Into The Studio, Or Not Getting Out Of It!

So over the years, when talking to folks, and when observing myself, I hear or see a lot of excuses for different things. One of these things is for not getting into the studio. Another is for not getting out and enjoying life, because the studio is your excuse.

So break it down.

What is your biggest excuse for not getting to work in the studio?

What is the real excuse for not leaving the studio for some other commitment?

Sitting in for Evelyne, as she is stuck without internet somewhere in NM? Hmmmmm is that an excuse? :) Good enough for me!

i can't go out to the studio because it is too cold.  and besides that, i am on CAD.

i can't leave the studio because i have one more piece of clay that is already rolled out and just needs a little more..........................

Not going in: Too cold (it can be really cold!) or I don't feel like getting wet/ taking the time to clean up. (I go through internal phases where I just knock ideas around in my head for a few days before I actually want to put my hands in clay and make them real)

Not getting out: I'm almost finished! Just one more thing! I'm on a roll! I just had a great idea though!! (I am avoiding chores or my "real" job)

Winter time, too cold, Spring, needs to warm up a little more. Summer its too hot, Fall, I'm on the forum. Amazing I get anything done out there. However, once I'm there, and reach that zone, I can be out there for all day and in to the wee morning hours and not even know it. Guess we all get that way. . . some times I even forget to eat lunch. Good thing I'm married, my wife always looks after me for dinner.

Other excuses can be: I didn't get around early enough to go out before lunch; I have to bowl in the afternoon, no time for a shower after throwing; Need to get a nap this afternoon before bowling; doing the taxes; hate to go out and clean when I just took a shower yesterday. . . . . . on and on and on.

I guess I'm lucky that I can keep my studio warm in the winter, and cool in the summer. My problem is when the weather outside is spectacular (um, like today) and the idea of spending the whole day in the basement seems like a shame.

It's hard to leave the studio when I'm listening to a great audiobook. Currently enamored of the Jack Reacher books by Lee Child. I'll be sad when I finish them all.

The real truth is that there aren't many other activities that I enjoy more than making pots. Some people think I'm really disciplined but I suspect I might just be boring.

What stops me getting in - after a firing has been unsuccessful, I'm reluctant to put myself through all that again!

What stops me leaving - ...just need to tidy this piece up a bit more, one more wipe, smoothing, touch up, bit more turned away...

Not getting in: Pretty much every excuse already mentioned. Cold, avoidance of deadlines, housework, and there's this really interesting thread I want to chime in on over on CAD.....the Internet, and especially social media is amazing and also the Devil if you get sucked into it. If I've been out of the studio too long, certain shame issues around a vestigial idea that I don't deserve my talent crop up. (Long story, I'm doing work on it.)

Not getting out: deadlines, avoidance of housework, deadlines, I'm having fun, there's always something more to be done and I'm not out of clay yet! I tend towards inertia: I don't like changing states. It's either one or the other, and it can take a pry-bar to shift me either way.

Mea, you could be there awhile with that Jack Reacher series. Aren't there like 20 books and counting?

Taxes are done ,lawn needs mowing 3/4 acre,water tank need installing,shop central vacuum system need installing in studio.

I'm in the studio every day just about no matter what 7 days a week-I wish I had an excuse but since I'm a studio potter seems the studio is the best place for me. Soon I will be going to a show and that will take 8 days away to get it done then off to an Island to teach a workshop in clay and get some water time in.Maybe thats an excuse not to go in as its in the middle of the Pacific Ocean.

Sad to say. Five year old grandson Bentley diagnosed with cancer. He lives with us. He wants to be potter too.

The hospital is across the street from the community college i attended as a lad. Went over and saw old ceramics professor can throw anytime there.

Not getting out. Throwing more than I can handle (literally) and decorate. Damn that's to dry damn that's to wet.

I call my excuses for not getting into the studio, "legion" , for they are many. Right now, the love of my life, the center of my universe, my husband, Denny, was diagnosed just before Christmas, with stage 4 metastatic non small cell lung cancer. So far, they (the oncologists) are NOT saying it's terminal, thank heavens. So, of course,We're fighting it.

That entails twice weekly oncology and infusion appointments, frequent additional fluids infusion sessions (he becomes easily dehydrated on account of the cancer) transfusions (also on account of the cancer).....it just goes on and on. And since he's been so severely weakened by all of this, it means that he can't really help out around our place. Ten+ acres to maintain, 25 chickens, three cats and a household, all fall to me to take care of.

Studio time? Pfffft! Not even a consideration right now. :( For the foreseeable future, at any rate. I know it would be cathartic for me to get in there, but I just don't have the time. Free time consists of a few minutes, here and there, to spend with y'all (hey, even I have to sit down and rest now and then ;) ) and then it's back at it!

There are water lines to get ready for the garden....and then there is the garden itself to prepare....house cleaning, grocery shopping, appointments, chickens, cats, appointments, cooking, chickens, appointments, house cleaning...oh, and did I mention appointments? Yeah, those take a BIG chunk of our time.

Once I DO manage to get back into the studio, God help ANYONE who tries to get me out of there. It darn well better be an emergency and somebody better be bleeding, or there will be hell to pay! :angry:  ;)

I call my excuses for not getting into the studio, "legion" , for they are many. Right now, the love of my life, the center of my universe, my husband, Denny, was diagnosed just before Christmas, with stage 4 metastatic non small cell lung cancer. So far, they (the oncologists) are NOT saying it's terminal, thank heavens. So, of course,We're fighting it.

That entails twice weekly oncology and infusion appointments, frequent additional fluids infusion sessions (he becomes easily dehydrated on account of the cancer) transfusions (also on account of the cancer).....it just goes on and on. And since he's been so severely weakened by all of this, it means that he can't really help out around our place. Ten+ acres to maintain, 25 chickens, three cats and a household, all fall to me to take care of.

Studio time? Pfffft! Not even a consideration right now. :( For the foreseeable future, at any rate. I know it would be cathartic for me to get in there, but I just don't have the time. Free time consists of a few minutes, here and there, to spend with y'all (hey, even I have to sit down and rest now and then ;) ) and then it's back at it!

There are water lines to get ready for the garden....and then there is the garden itself to prepare....house cleaning, grocery shopping, appointments, chickens, cats, appointments, cooking, chickens, appointments, house cleaning...oh, and did I mention appointments? Yeah, those take a BIG chunk of our time.

Once I DO manage to get back into the studio, God help ANYONE who tries to get me out of there. It darn well better be an emergency and somebody better be bleeding, or there will be hell to pay! :angry:  ;)

Seems like to me you need the studio time just for a little R&R. Nothing like studio time to make you forget your troubles if even only for an afternoon. Take care, and care of hubby. Some things are too precious to lose.

best,

Pres

Retired so I am busier than when I was working and yes the pottery adds to the busy. Keeps me out- plow the snow, feed horses, cut up that big 48" tree for firewood split and stack for next winter, next will be paint the outside trim on house, shop and studio. Oh and train a 3 year old horse to ride by mid May.

Cant leave because I have to make enough to fire the next kiln load because of 1 custom order piece :-). Want to make a couple of new items I have not tried before.

mark!   you can't get away with that!   where, what workshop, what island, we need details so we can live vicariously!

I'll post details in ceramic events calendar soon.Since it a small place I know no one will go who does not already live there.So I have held off posting details.

I usually have no problem getting to the studio. The issue is once I get there , deciding what to do.  I always prefer to fiddle with an existing project rather than start a new one.  Its getting started thats hard.  Just have to give myself a kick in the pants.  Visualize that. Hmmm, maybe a new sculpture.  rakuku

Pres: thank you so very much for taking over! :wub:

Back in Switzerland now and a working Internet.

Some of my reasons (excuses) for not getting in the studio are: pain in the hands, but that should be in the past now because of the hand surgeries I had / fear of not getting the object (I want to make)perfect enough / too cold - (I am working in the basement) / sitting on the Computer for too long...

And the "not getting out of the studio" part: because making pottery is my passion. Are you giving up passion just to go have lunch or dinner? See!

:)

Glad to be back.

Evelyne

Archived