Recommendations For Los Angeles-Area Electrician With Kiln Experience?

I live in Los Angeles, I've just started renting my very own studio in a commercial space, and I need to find an electrician to do some upgrades to include installation of a new electric kiln (either Skutt or L&L, my first kiln, and I've never even fired a kiln yet!!)

I've already heard and read more about the myriad nightmares that can come from a bad electrical job than is good for my mental health. Even done by a licensed electrician, when they don't understand the extreme requirements of a kiln! (has anyone seen the instagram pics of @lyonclay's kiln meltdown?) I plan to avoid that from the start if I possibly can :):) Whoever does this work will be getting a strict lecture from me about taking no shortcuts and following the manufacturer's specs and installation instructions TO. THE. LETTER. but it will be more of a comfort to know that the one I hire will have done this at least once before—successfully!

Thank you for any and all recommendations and advice!

try contacting a supplier in the area and ask for names of potters who have electric kilns.  ask who repairs kilns and the experiences of those who used that person.

put an ad up on a bulletin board at the suppliers, try the colleges in the area, ask at a craft fair, etc.

My kiln was a first for my electrician . . . but he is an experience electrician.  I gave him the wiring diagrams and manual parts ahead of time.  Plus, he did the wiring the same day I had the kiln installed by the person I bought it from -- so they were able to work together. 

Archived