Venting Systems

Does anyone have preferences about the venting systems available (to Canadians)? I have not been able to find any reviews online.

We currently have an Ortons on order to be installed on our new bisque kiln, but studio partners want to look at other options. It was only ordered today, so hopefully we can cancel the vent order if we change our minds within the next day or so.

Any thoughts?

• 2 weeks later...

I would like to reopen this topic.  I have a ten year old L&L JD230 and the venting system (L&L Sure Vent) is shot - from the collecting box immediately under the kiln to the motor.  I am considering either replacing the system with another Sure Vent or switching to a Skutt Envirovent 2.  Any advice?  any experience with the Envirovent 2?  Any other system to recommend?  One factor that is important to me is ease of replacement.  Thanks for any input,  Joan

You can also  build one if you are handy using heating duct works and a fan. I used a fan for a wood stove that has metal fan blades. The collection box is a square vent end and I use holes in the first section of pipe with a slide cover over that to regulate the air intake.

I would like to reopen this topic.  I have a ten year old L&L JD230 and the venting system (L&L Sure Vent) is shot - from the collecting box immediately under the kiln to the motor.  I am considering either replacing the system with another Sure Vent or switching to a Skutt Envirovent 2.  Any advice?  any experience with the Envirovent 2?  Any other system to recommend?  One factor that is important to me is ease of replacement.  Thanks for any input,  Joan

Every brand of motor wears out eventually. Switching brands will not result in longer motor life. The upside of the L&L system is that the air flow is adjustable, and that the vent collection box cannot be kicked out of alignment with the holes in the kiln floor. The Skutt collection cup is not mounted to the kiln stand. It just pushes up against it, and can be knocked of the the way if you bump the ductwork, and therefore should be checked regularly.

Thanks Ron, Neil and Joseph lotsa good ideas.  I am not really handy or spry (will be 80 in a month) but I crawled under the kiln today, disconnected things and, using the perturbation method, got the motor working again.  I recently bought new ducting so now its the collection box that has to be replaced - any more perturbation of that and it will be a pile of rust.  Joseph your message indicated that you can buy the box separately from the rest of the system, I guess the next step is to get in touch with L&L and see if they'll sell me one.  Thanks everyone for all the help, Joan.

http://hotkilns.com/vent-system-component-bypass-collection-box

That is the part your looking for if you have an L&L stand and are looking to add the collection box on the bottom. This is what I did, then I just got my own inline fan and ducting and ran it all myself. That part was under 70 dollars. If you get a really powerful fan, then I would also advise getting a controller for the fan so you can turn it down, then fine tune with the collection box. This is what I did. My fan is rated much higher than my kiln needs, but I bought like a 15 dollar fan controller that I plug my inline fan into. I just make sure there is a draft going into my kiln the way Neil told me to do. Light a piece of paper on fire and blow it out, see if the fumes get sucked in.

They will sell it to you no problem, I called and just said I wanted the box and they took my information and it arrived a few days later. 

Archived