My dear forum friends

I thank you from all my heart for your messages and emails and answers in the last QOTW. It makes me happy that you like this topic so much and that you asked me to continue.

This morning we had our Potters Council Advisory Board Meeting at NCECA and I volunteered for another year to do the QOTW. But (big but!) I need your help. I would appreciate you giving me ideas for the weekly questions or tell me your wishes. I want to invite guests to help me with the topic. So please, don't be shy. Write to me what you want us to discuss in this wonderful possibility to communicate among friends and potters.

Thank you. Here's to another year of interesting questions and answers.

Greetings from Kansas City.

Evelyne

Maybe it should be QOTFN :D

Question of the fortnight

I like questions that get into other peoples studios. What do you do with pots after they leave the kiln, do you have any studio rituals, what kind of lighting do you use in the studio, how much clay is too much, what is your least favourite pot, how many hours a week does clay occupy, is clay a drug, why do I always have friction burns on my pinky finger, can anybody throw with long nails.

Evelyne:

I left KC Tuesday at 6pm or so. I met Marcia in the lobby and asked if you were there. She said she had already seen you earlier. I waited around in hopes of seeing you before I left-alas! Spent almost 20 hours with Ron Roy: think the man taught me more about clay body formulation in that time than I could have learned in six months reading books. Meeting Liz and her two wood firing friends was also a treat.

Nerd

HIP HIP HOOOORAAAAY! :) 

My favorites are subjects that expose quirks, like what people like to listen to, what inspires them. How messy is their studio. I love seeing both how much we all have in common and yet how unique we are all at the same time. 

I wonder if there's a way to tie the QOTW with the challenge, like maybe an add-on to the QOTW is a suggested technique to try with a link to a tutorial or video? Kind of broadening people's horizons and getting them to try something new or rediscover something they haven't used in awhile; if it's a technique they use frequently it would be a cool opportunity to share their tips and photos of pieces they've made with it. Okay that got way complicated at the end and I think it would take over! LOL Never mind. 

I like questions that get into other peoples studios. What do you do with pots after they leave the kiln, do you have any studio rituals, what kind of lighting do you use in the studio, how much clay is too much, what is your least favourite pot, how many hours a week does clay occupy, is clay a drug, why do I always have friction burns on my pinky finger, can anybody throw with long nails.

CAN anybody throw with long nails? .... 

If we're taking a poll, put me down for NO, NO, WHY DIDN'T I TRIM MY NAILS, NO. 

CAN anybody throw with long nails? .... 

If we're taking a poll, put me down for NO, NO, WHY DIDN'T I TRIM MY NAILS, NO. 

Potters throw with ribs, with sponges, with gloves . . . just think it would be awfully difficult pulling up a wall with nails.  Small brads would be really difficult, but if you used a large headed nail -- maybe on a good day.  Akira Satake showed us how to form handles over knitting needles -- but not nails. 

Well, most of the "grown-up" moderators/admins are all in KC, so . . . play time.  NCECA -- the annual spring migration of potters/clay artists to a different city each spring, confounding the best minds of science trying to detect a pattern in behavior for the past 50 years. 

Just as a suggestion...."What does your studio look like?", with pictures of each of our studios. And don't be shy about posting pictures, or worry about if it's messy or not. Hey, people! It's POTTERY! Of course it's going to be messy! Even the best of us with the most thoughtfully organized studios can have a messy corner or two (or all four, as is the case with  moi! :wacko: ) I'd love to hear suggestions for getting organized, tips for keeping it clean, and pictures to help with visualizations on layouts of efficient studios. Just a suggestion for QOTW, as per your request, Evelyne! ;)  And THANK YOU for agreeing to hosting the QOTW for another year! You're doing a great job, lady! Keep up the good work! :wub:

You all just made me weep a bit. Thank you so much for your warm welcome back and all those good tips. I will look at them closely tommorrow because I am sooooo tired from all that NCECA crazyness.

Nerd: I am really sorry to have missed you! You are such an interesting person, I'd loved to talk to you. Are you coming to Portland next year? Gla you had fun with Ron Roy!

Amy: oldlady is right. We already had that topic. See here: http://community.ceramicartsdaily.org/topic/12271-qotw-would-you-show-us-a-picture-of-your-working-space/

My eyes are halfway shut... Good night my friends

Evelyne

Thank you Evelyne and Old Lady. I hadn't see this before. Let's face it. There's SUCH a wealth of information and links here. Even if I had all the time in the world, I doubt I could get through ALL of it! I truly appreciate when y'all bring special things of interest to me in a quick link, without me having to spend my extremely limited time in searching for them. THANK YOU!!!  :wub:  

Everybody who's interested in getting a list of our last years QOTW themes, including the links, please email me!

NCECA was absolutely great. It's kind of a frenzy....

About the QOTW: Pres very kindly told me that he will help when I am not in town. So he is officially my right-hand man! Thank you very much Pres!

Hi Evelyne,

I thought maybe people could share their photography skills. After all, it you can make something beautiful, shouldn't it be put in the best light.

So my QOTW would be; What's in your picture. What makes you picture "Pop". What kind of lighting. Set up, props. Show your bestpicture and how you did it.

Well, that's it for now, hope it helps.

Marko

Marko there are several threads on shooting great photos-use the all forum search function meaning to go to the main page of all forums before searching 

I showed my setup as did many others-Its easier to find that than doing it all again 

I'm starting to get grumpy about restarting things I think.Mybe this is a sign of old grumpy starting??

Heres a start for you just in the 1st two pages after searching-many more pages to look thru for you.

If I recall Mea who is a moderator on the board has her photo setup and its super simple on her web site-I have sent others there to make one.

http://community.ceramicartsdaily.org/topic/7887-photography-backgrounds/?hl=photography

http://community.ceramicartsdaily.org/topic/5519-photography-isnt-just-pressing-a-button/?hl=photography

Archived