Is All Kanthal A-1 Wire The Same?

Pugaboo

I've been hunting for new wires for my bead racks. I decided to go with Kanthal A-1 wire since the manufacturer says it can fire to 2550. BUT.... Some sites state Kanthal A-1 wire only fires to 2055. I even called and they checked and their supplier states it only goes to 2055. So is there more than one type of Kanthal A-1 wire and how do I know which is which, as in is there an additional code or something I can look for or ask them for? Oh and on top of that I need 9 gauge Kanthal A-1 wire. I tried googling but those stupid e-cigs apparently use Kanthal A-1 wire but in a really small gauge and most of what comes up is about that.

Terry

I should clarify,

I need 9 gauge Kanthal A-1 wire, know this is the gauge I need so thinner gauge information doesn't help. looked on the manufactures site and is says this gauge goes to 2550 F. I found 9 gauge Kanthal A-1 on one site but they state it only goes to 2055F, I called and asked if it was a typo (numbers being the same just in different order and all that) and they checked their supplier who confirmed it only went to 2055.

So is there another way of knowing the 9 gauge Kanthal wire I am looking at goes to 2550 or not? There has to be some way manufacturers can tell them apart, an additional code or something?

Thanks for your help on this, it's very confusing to me.

T

That's what I thought. So the company I found must not be selling actual Kanthal a-1 wire but a knock off maybe? Anyhow the search continues for a supplier. Found lots selling down to gauge 12 but having trouble finding 9 gauge.

Does anyone know of a website that sells Kanthal A-1 wire in 9 gauge that they would like to share?

T

I have found a couple of sites that sell replacement bars for bead racks, in 9ga size. Bailey says theirs are rated for cone 6. I don't think you'll find any that are rated for hotter than that, because they'll just bend at higher temps unless they're 1/2" thick. Just because the rated temp of A-1 is 2550, that doesn't mean it can support suspended beads at that temp.

The issue I have with buying more bead rack precut wires is that the wires turn green over time and this green can at times come off on a piece. Right now when this happens I have a small sanding bit for my Dremel that I can carefully clean out the inside of the hole with. But it's sanding glaze and I try to avoid doing that even with a mask on. I have some Kanthal a-1 gauge 12 wire I use for earrings and it has not turned green. Hence my search. But if needed I will just get some more precut bead rack wires.

T

Archived