Making Plates With Molds

The answer to this question changes with your studio conditions.

I will offer the advice of always quickly lifting up the clay from the form after a few hours. This will allow it to shrink without sticking as much as it dries. There are ways around this step such as dusting with cornflour or a layer of newsprint.

I make large platters from plastic oval forms-I coat the plastic with (Lube from Laguna clay) Roll out a slab and drap into form trim the edges and let it dry overnight or until I can flip it and its dry and strong enough to hold it shape.Its usual a 12 hour or more deal but I'm in a heated studio.

Great thanks! I don't mind waiting :-) Unfortunately I did not coat with anything. I figured constartch would cause a mess. I've seen some people use cooking spray. Would saran wrap work as well? Is there a chance the clay simply won't come off even when it's really dry?

If the plate is plastic it will take have to get real dry with no release coating. 

I suggest going to drug store and getting some green soap next time and apply with a damp sponge-cooking spray will work but its greasy. Forget about saran wrap as you want the clay to be against the form.

If I use a plastic form I usually take a sponge and dip it into a little bit of babyoil. I rub it into the form and then I lay the clay on it. It works fantastic, also in forms wich have structure. The oil never matters because it is too less on the clay,I burns away (like cold wax)  during the hours in the kiln.

I woke up this morning and all three of my plates had giant cracks down the center :-( well lesson learned. So if I has put oil do you think they would not have stuck? Now how do to refurbish the dry clay? If i put it in the bag with some moisture, can I wedge it back to normal use?

And you have learned :-)

Reclaiming clay is another topic entirely. My advice is to just put it in a bucket with other clay scraps and ignore the growing problem for a few weeks. Ask yourself the economics question of "is it worth my time yet?" as the effort to reclaim 50 lbs of clay is about the same as 1 lb.

I am experimenting to try to make some plates. I molded clay to another plate and let it air dry. It's porcelain and didn't get too wet. How long do you think it will take to come off the plate if I do not cover it?

Thanks!

You might want to look into the jiggering method.

David

YOu could drill holes along the loncgest edge, a hole on opposing rim and then you have a thingie to hang wind chimes from or whatever

When using plastic or anything actually for molds, I just smear the mold with thick dishwashing liquid, the stuff that you actually have to squeeze the bottle to get it out!

Archived