After 3 Years Of Testing

For three years I have been trying to perfect a no-run Cone 6 crystalline glaze recipe. There is less than a half of teaspoon of glaze run off in the catcher. There is none on the sides or the rear. I think this side only has it because I applied a little too thick towards the bottom. I can make it completely run free, but that hinders crystal development too much. For those unfamiliar with this glaze: losing up to 1/3rd of the glaze in the catcher is normal. My next step is to send it out to 5-6 other potters that have never worked with it before to see how it field test for them. Needs a touch more SiO2 to heal the crazing issue.

Run Test

Nerd

Mark:

Normally I can get 6-8 firings from one catcher, sometimes more. The trick is to use a 50/50 EPK/Alumina paste to set the piece onto the catcher. The COE of this mix is way off from porcelain, so a simple tap on the catcher usually makes it release. I put a 6" carbide wheel on my bench grinder: in less than 30 seconds I have a nice smooth bottom. Actually if you took a scrap tile and put it under the piece with a thick coating of dry silica: tap it and throw it all out works too. There is no reason why this glaze cannot be more user friendly.

Nerd

When I made crystalline glazes, (my thesis in 1973) I used a 1/2" slice of soft brick cut to fit the pot which was bisqued to ^9 and kiln washed with high alumina mix.

The whole premise of growing the crystals is the excessive fluidity for "freezing" the surface by a fast temp. drop and hold to grow the crystals. Your test piece looks like successful crystals forming and the excessive flow isn't so bad. Good job with the experiments.

Marcia

Very impressive work, I am sure it would be even more awesome if I had ever fired a crystal glaze and had seen the aftermath personally.

When I first started. I didn't know much. I bought some commercial crystal glazes and read the firing schedule and programmed it in and fired it. I promptly threw away the kiln shelve afterwords with the pot stuck to it and decided to throw away the crystal glaze as well. Talk about a mess. I didn't even want to attempt to grind that. 

Thanks all for the comments and compliments.

Marcia: There is a trade off for controlling the glaze run off: the crystal development is different than a cone 9-10.

Matthew: I will be sending out premixed samples, not the recipe.

Cone 10 crystal:

910 Test

Marcia: in 1973 you were probably using Pemco 283 Frit. The zinc was probably 75% pure and roughly the same for silica. The technology changes in kilns and in products has changed our ability to deal with this glaze. Zinc is 98.9%, and the same for silica. These purity levels require less fluidity and less heat to accomplish a full melt.

I will be posting another type of crystal glaze here shortly. To my knowledge it has not been introduced before: again I stress to my knowledge. (the world is a big place.)

Nerd   (Tom Anderson)... but don't tell anyone.. I am lurking.

Matthew:

send me an address via PM....Will send you 150-200 grams; should be enough to do two smalls pieces.  Will send you the rutile/Nic ox shown above, and a medium green. lite tan field. Instructions for application and mixing will be enclosed. Will be another two weeks, sold my office/warehouse and am under the gun to get it cleared out and have a massive tool auction. After 42 years of swinging a hammer, doing something easier- like glaze.

Nerd

Archived