Pets in the studio

I have a crazy group of dogs. I rescued a Shar-pie mix and then one of my girlfriends co-workers had lab puppies and we got a male. When we rescued our shar-pei they said they thought she was fixed but much to our surprise she went in heat. We thought we would seperate the two until she was out of heat but love couldnt keep them apart evidently because we now have 6 dogs, yes I said SIX! It is a lot of work but I work from my house most of the time and have no kids, of course everyone is fixed now thank god, no more dogs!

My question is, my big lab LOVES to be in the room when I am throwing pottery, he loves to watch, he is my little helper, the others have no interest and will sleep but he loves watching me. I do get dog hair in my pottery but I dont think that will hurt anything will it? should just burn off I am guessing and I dont get many blow-ups or cracks but would be curious what others think? It also worries me about dust etc. but I dont let him in there if anything is dust going on like mixing glazes etc. I figure if I am doing work where I need to wear a mask he shouldnt be in there. Should it be ok to have him in there when I am throwing?

post-6939-131826300845_thumb.jpg

post-6939-131826302834_thumb.jpg

post-6939-131826304682_thumb.jpg

post-6939-131826306296_thumb.jpg

post-6939-131826300845_thumb.jpg

post-6939-131826302834_thumb.jpg

post-6939-131826304682_thumb.jpg

post-6939-131826306296_thumb.jpg

I have a crazy group of dogs. I rescued a Shar-pie mix and then one of my girlfriends co-workers had lab puppies and we got a male. When we rescued our shar-pei they said they thought she was fixed but much to our surprise she went in heat. We thought we would seperate the two until she was out of heat but love couldnt keep them apart evidently because we now have 6 dogs, yes I said SIX! It is a lot of work but I work from my house most of the time and have no kids, of course everyone is fixed now thank god, no more dogs!

My question is, my big lab LOVES to be in the room when I am throwing pottery, he loves to watch, he is my little helper, the others have no interest and will sleep but he loves watching me. I do get dog hair in my pottery but I dont think that will hurt anything will it? should just burn off I am guessing and I dont get many blow-ups or cracks but would be curious what others think? It also worries me about dust etc. but I dont let him in there if anything is dust going on like mixing glazes etc. I figure if I am doing work where I need to wear a mask he shouldnt be in there. Should it be ok to have him in there when I am throwing?

hi,

that certainly would be a lot of dogs to have around, and many years ago we too had numerous older dogs and puppies - but I did insist that they stay out of the studio area. Despite the best housekeeping effort that we can practice, animals still pick up stuff being on the floor, and then of course take it with them - wherever else they go in your house..... not the best scenario day in and day out. With my current two dogs ( a sheltie and a BIG lab ) I initially put up a baby gate, and now eventually they know the area is off limits and they can still be close - by the doorway if they want to - they also know when I don't want them at all - ie glazing or mixing glazes. Over all - and perhaps being very cautious all around - they are probably better off not being there. Dogs are subject to respitory ailments, as well as skin and other sensitivity issues, and like people, these are problems that don't always show up right away. As a final comment under no circumstances would any puppies ever be allowed in anywhere - ok, perhaps in your clay free hands for a snuggle but you could do that elsewhere too.

good luck,

diana

I would think it would be fine for him to help you in the studio.

My cat also likes to supervise me in the studio, and as long as I am not doing anything that requires a mask or a respirator, he can stay. My dog could come in, too, but she gets too rambunctious, and I fear she would crash the greenware.

I would love to have my Labrador Retriever come down to my studio, but it is one half of my basement, and the other half is a woodshop. There are way too many things down there of interest to a Lab to allow her in. Clay on the floor, dropped bits of wood and nails. Occasionally I bring her down and play a little basement ball fetch, but that's it. As other have said, if I need a respirator, so would my dog. I don't eat clay, so I don't know what that would do to her, but apparently small amounts (before I could catch her) don't have much cause and effect. It's too bad; it gets lonely down there.

John

I have often wondered that same question.

I am so lucky to have such a lenient art house that I work out of that the League President allows me to bring my doggie in as long as there are no classes in session.

I even named my (very-very small) ceramics business Little Black Dog Pottery after my own Little Black Dog, Abby!! She's nice to accompany me, and often just snoozes on the floor while I'm working away. I also sign the bottom of my pots with her silhouette.

post-6532-131827857717_thumb.jpg

post-6532-131827858804_thumb.jpg

post-6532-131827857717_thumb.jpg

post-6532-131827858804_thumb.jpg

I have often wondered that same question.

I am so lucky to have such a lenient art house that I work out of that the League President allows me to bring my doggie in as long as there are no classes in session.

I even named my (very-very small) ceramics business Little Black Dog Pottery after my own Little Black Dog, Abby!! She's nice to accompany me, and often just snoozes on the floor while I'm working away. I also sign the bottom of my pots with her silhouette.

Abby is beautiful and I love that you sign your pots with her silhouette!

I would love to have my Labrador Retriever come down to my studio, but it is one half of my basement, and the other half is a woodshop. There are way too many things down there of interest to a Lab to allow her in. Clay on the floor, dropped bits of wood and nails. Occasionally I bring her down and play a little basement ball fetch, but that's it. As other have said, if I need a respirator, so would my dog. I don't eat clay, so I don't know what that would do to her, but apparently small amounts (before I could catch her) don't have much cause and effect. It's too bad; it gets lonely down there.

John

I have to admit it makes me very happy having my lab with me when throwing and I seriously think I wouldnt be in there as long as I am sometimes if he wasnt with me keeping me company!

I have two lovebirds in my studio. I also have a cat that likes to hang out with me sometimes when I am creating. My two Cavalier King Charles Spaniels like to be out there with me, but they tend to get in my way, so I only allow then in there when I am working on sculpture or slab work at a table. My studio has two parts one is half of a 3 car garage. This is where I create and dry ware. The open air part of the studio is in my kiln and glazing area, it has a roof and a wall on two sides, open to the gardens and ocean on the other. I do my spraying, glazing, sanding etc. out there. My kiln is also out there, so no gasses or fumes are in the part of the studio where the animals are. Because we live in Hawaii, the climate is always temperate and I have lots of doors and windows open all of the time. It would be different if things had to be closed up.

My beagle, Maggie and lab, Libby, are in my studio as well. They don't usually stick around for long, but I have an open door policy, forunately they are small and don't get into too much. My shelves and materials are high enough that they don't get into that stuff. I have lost a few wooden tools to Libby though. Forces me to keep the studio clean and organized (as much as a studio can be!)

post-2312-131881083666_thumb.jpg

post-2312-131881083666_thumb.jpg

Buckeye I let my dog who is a Decker Rat terrrier be in the studio with me I have a open door policy where he can leave any time he wants. He usually doesn't stay long and when he does he sleeps in his bed. If he walked around and sniffed the floor alot I would be worried about dust but he is pretty disinterested in it there's not a ball in sight. We adopted him from a shelter when our 20 year old dog died, we were a little disappointed that he wasn't a mutt, our vet told us that mutts have less health problems in general but it was love at first sight. All of my dogs have been in my studio and they all live to be 18 to 20 and have no respiratory problems. Denice

All of my dogs have been in my studio and they all live to be 18 to 20 and have no respiratory problems. Denice

Thats good enough for me then! He will be happy to know he can stay, especially after he started making me sign his initals on every pot that I work on when he is in helping me... I hated to cave in but he said if I didnt he would contact his union rep biggrin.gif

I too have an open door policy for my dogs in my studio also, and allowed to come and go at any time when I'm working. I don't mix my own glazes at this time, as I'm still re-learning the art AND my little studio is just that, little (9x9) so space is a premium. The two dogs I have now are much different than my old girl who I lost just over a year ago, she never left my side, and would curl up on her pillow under the tables in the far corner. These two, the golden retriever likes to stand and watch me throw, and is quite curious about the process but hasn't gotten in the way yet. The border collie on the other hand, she has claimed the back corner under the tables. I will admit, I have a 'puppy altered' bowl from time to time; I finish them and they simply become a priceless treasure in the house.

I live on an acreage, my studio consists of three small outbuildings (one throwing shed and two kiln studios.) I leave the door open during spring/summer/fall and my dogs come and go as they please. I have 4 dogs-a yellow Lab mix, Australian Blue Heeler, and two Rat Terriers. The only concern I have at times is the rat terriers getting in the way when I trim. I use the old kick wheel my dad made me when I trim. It has a big cement flywheel. I don't want them to get their paws caught so I try to shoo them away when trimming.

KCDiorama_029.jpg

My dogs occasionally go to the studio with me. The male usually just curls up in the recliner in the gallery area and goes to sleep. The female came with me a few times when she was a puppy, and she liked to chase the stuff going round and round on the wheel. It was hilarious but not very productive for me. (They are whippets, so chasing things that move is what they do.) She also tried to eat clay trimmings off the floor. She's outgrown those things, but she does still bark at people who come in, so she has to stay home now unless there is construction going on at home and they can't stay home. I made a sign to put in the window that says "please don't let the dogs out".

post-725-131954533614_thumb.jpg

post-725-131954533614_thumb.jpg

• 5 months later...

Many years ago our studio and living situation was just one big area, no doors. Living area up, studio downstairs. My dog had access to our studio and loved to stay with us while we worked. During the summer he preferred the area just outside the studio doors during the day. But, for the most part he spent many hours in our workspace. Sadly, even though we kept a tidy area he developed lung cancer and we had to put him down. Remember, the dogs are at ground zero with dust and chemicals. I no longer allow animals in my studio, its just too heart breaking. Well, kitty wanders in and out but he's not allowed to stay too long, just a few minutes. Everyone please rethink letting your dog lay down and nap on your studio floor. If they must be with you, elevate their sleep area as best you can.

I have let pets in the studio but only to look around and not stay-I have had dogs and cats who wait outside all day for me.

My studio is just to small . I do not want to trip over anything on the floor-I do not want them to drink things they should not.

Also the studio has some things that are not good for pets. I was at a friends studio back in the 70's when one of their kittens got under a kick wheel while it was being used-needless to say it did not survive.

Spinning wheels and glaze chemicals are hazards for animals as many other items-trim tools slab rollers. Pets tend to play and this space is not a safe play space .

That said I like my pets to know what's in there and move on thru-this has cost me many a bat full of pots or a few newly thrown items

The studio seems like a safe place but for pets its really not-at least my high production studio space is not.

my 2 cents

Mark

I don't recommend having pets in the studio due to the dust, etc. Any larger, sharp particles that dogs can get on their mouth and ingest or breath in could cut their esophagus and possibly get embedded. Also, the clay dust can build up in their lungs and cause breathing problems, especially since they're on the floor where it all settles (I used to be a dog groomer and vet assistant). I definitely wouldn't let the Shar-Pei mix get near anything, the breed tends to have hereditary skin problems. Yours may not, but just in case.

Archived