Pottery Display Racks

A few years ago I posted photos of my display racks.These are fast to put up hold a tons of pots and pack flat.

I had lots of interest in them.

I followed up with a how to make pottery display racks set of  plans. I mailed a bunch of these plans out (please look this post up as I'm out of plans)

Anyway I asked every person I sent them to to send me a photo if they ever made them.

I just got my 1st photos back of some made very close to my plans.

I just got a e-mail from a nice woman in Texas who had a set made-they are maple and birch plywood

They look super and she is putting a clear poly finish on them.

it's nice to know that of all those plans I sent out they where actually used. I know she will up her sales at shows with a set of these racks and will like there function every time she sets up and takes down.

She paid a woodworker 350$ per rack (two made) which I feel was a smoking deal as these are a complex woodworkers project . The glue up alone on the Trapezoid ends is a feat that need a custom jig to handle.

Good racks are hard to come by-these will not fall down no matter what happens (e-3 or larger wind events excluded)

display a ton of work very well as every shelve is angled so customers see all the pots on each one.

This e-mail made my day.

• 4 months later...

That's nice, do share...not sure what you mean by "(please look this post up as I'm out of plans)" ...linky maybe?

Istr that there was a copy of the plans in the original post, Mark has no more copies to snail-mail to anyone so if you want a copy, look up the original post.

(That's how I read it anyway). :)

That's nice, do share...not sure what you mean by "(please look this post up as I'm out of plans)" ...linky maybe?

Istr that there was a copy of the plans in the original post, Mark has no more copies to snail-mail to anyone so if you want a copy, look up the original post.

(That's how I read it anyway). :)

Ya thats right-look up the old post (no I do not have a link) but with some searching you can find it.

After mailing a dozen sets of plans with one return set made I stopped mailing them and coping them. One can only spend so much time doing this.

I tried looking the old post up and gave up after 5 minutes -I need to throw some pots today.

What I can say is most folks do not want to spend the money on making high quality hardwood racks-at 350 to 500$ each(also you need a qualified woodworker to get them made).

Most just screw together an A frame with shelves and call it good.

My racks where the 7th generation meaning the 7th time I had racks made over the decades-You learn from each time just like everything .

Good luck on the racks -mine are made for traveling art shows and also work in a retail setting

aren't they wonderful?  i would have some made but the ones i have are built on a 4 foot plan and work for me.  handling longer and heavier wood would be hard for me to do alone.

would like to have some ends made to fit my 4 foot shelves.  maybe i will look into that.

Ok I found another set of plans I can make copies and mail them out -takes two stamps which I will pay for-who needs them ? PM with your name a address-same deal as before if you make a set please send me a photo of completed racks-If you have questions after getting plans (which you should have) call me with those questions or pm me the questions.

This offer along with a bamboo steamer and the full set of ginso knifes good for limited time only-operators standing by to take your requests.

Thanks Fred on finding old post from 2012

Mark

The above racks are tiered.

I also have some that are about 14 inches wide and have 5 shelves that are not tiered. I have a 2 foot set a 4 foot set and two 5 foot sets and two 6 foot sets.

If I get around to it this summer I will try to take some photos and work up a post on it.These are straight up and take up less space. They are connected with a  cross of coated wire for diagonal  support.They are much easier to build-mine are silver maple supports with birch plywood and banded on the edges with birch iron on wood tape.

These racks are a good mix with the tiered ones. I use them in my booth along with the tiered ones.

They hold a different array of forms than my tiered ones.

I'll post another booth photo with set of them in shot.

Heres a photo of my narrow racks -these two are my 6 foot long ones at the Tempe Az show in 2013.

also a shot of the 5 footers at my 4th of July booth.

This units are quick to put up and I bungie them together as one.

They have 6 shelves-I have them in five feet and four feet and 2.5 feet

The key points are the two standards (the part that holds the shelves up)  is connected buy a coated wire in an  x pattern . This wire is threaded thru a hole in the wood and has an aluminum crimp on the end so it cannot come out. The wire goes to the bottom and up to the bottom of the 5th shelve so you do not see this wire above that shelve. That keeps the two standards a attached kit. The top and bottom shelves have cleats that catch the crossbars and hold the spread tight. The other 4 shelves are all alike flat with no cleats.

Since I do all type of booth set ups- double - singles and booth and halfs.

Most of my setups are unusual non standard spaces. I tend to use the pair of 6 footers or the 5 footers.

post-8914-0-65706400-1468084655_thumb.jpg

post-8914-0-55015100-1468085339_thumb.jpg

post-8914-0-65706400-1468084655_thumb.jpg

post-8914-0-55015100-1468085339_thumb.jpg

Archived