Peel me off this velcro seat...

"Peel me off this velcro seat, and get me moving,

I sure as hell can't do it by myself."

-Green Day "Longview"

Well, this describes my situation today, to a "T" ("tee"?).

We are having exceptional weather here in Chicago, it has been in the 70s for the past three days, and is going to be in the 80s for the next few days. It is perfect studio weather, yet here I sit, glued to the computer. I want to make stuff, but here I sit, glued to the computer.

How do you get yourself "off the seat" and into your workspace? What's your motivator?

Reminds me of another quote that almost applies to me, but I'm not an artist:

"Artists don't get to work until the pain of not working exceeds the pain of working."

-Stephen DeStaebler

How do you get yourself "off the seat" and into your workspace? What's your motivator?

One of the best antidotes to procrastination is to reward yourself for an accomplishment. For instance, you can have a 10 minute break but only after you finish the first item on your to-do list.

Sincerely,

Arnold Howard

Paragon Industries, L.P., Mesquite, Texas USA

ahoward@paragonweb.com / www.paragonweb.com

Let's diagnose the situation-

What is the feeling you have when you go to your studio door, frustration? What is bothering you in there?

When was your last big work session and how long did it last?

-You could be drained creatively you need to refresh yourself. Go in to the studio and clean up a bit but do not make anything with the clay.

While sitting at the computer are you thinking about all of the things you are going to make?

-Keep some blank paper, sharp pencils with an eraser near by for quick sketches.

Is there something in your work space that is annoying you and that you want to change but haven’t figured out how to do it? Do you have too much clay to recycle; dried or wet? Do you have dried out glazes that you need to get to working consistency?

-You can change the location for some of these tasks take it outside, or do it in the bathroom or take it all to the park since the weather is nice.

Can you change the layout of the space to make it almost new? Are you out of space on the shelves?

-Open all of the windows and the doors and get some new music in there. It may be time to paint the walls and get some new shelving.

-You may need to either prepare to sell your work or give some of it away?

Do you need a new studio/shop/gallery location?

-Start searching on line for a new location.

How about taking a trip?

-A trip to a conference or a museum not necessarily related to ceramics or a walk in the park all in another city can be very refreshing.

But clean up your studio before you go.

right now this is just a hobby for me, its also a passion but I dont have to be on the wheel if I dont want to be. Sometimes I will throw for days straight, long hours and cant get enough and then I am burned out and once everything is finished to a point I can walk away I do, sometimes just for a day, sometimes for several.

Sometimes being stuck to the computer means you need contact with other people. Maybe find a place where you can throw with other people? Or try getting up and dressed (no computer) leave the house and have breakfast out. Then come back and straight to the studio to play! This could be about breaking the cycle or your daily routine. Mix it up a bit, maybe find someone to teach to share the joy. Good luck!

What is the feeling you have when you go to your studio door, frustration? What is bothering you in there?

-You could be drained creatively you need to refresh yourself. Go in to the studio and clean up a bit but do not make anything with the clay.

While sitting at the computer are you thinking about all of the things you are going to make?

-Keep some blank paper, sharp pencils with an eraser near by for quick sketches.

Is there something in your work space that is annoying you and that you want to change but haven’t figured out how to do it? Do you have too much clay to recycle; dried or wet? Do you have dried out glazes that you need to get to working consistency?

-You can change the location for some of these tasks take it outside, or do it in the bathroom or take it all to the park since the weather is nice.

Can you change the layout of the space to make it almost new? Are you out of space on the shelves?

-Open all of the windows and the doors and get some new music in there. It may be time to paint the walls and get some new shelving.

How about taking a trip?

-A trip to a conference or a museum not necessarily related to ceramics or a walk in the park all in another city can be very refreshing.

Lucille, these are fabulous ideas! You could be a life coach! :D

-Green Day "Longview"

We are having exceptional weather here in Chicago, it has been in the 70s for the past three days, and is going to be in the 80s for the next few days. It is perfect studio weather, yet here I sit, glued to the computer. I want to make stuff, but here I sit, glued to the computer.

"Artists don't get to work until the pain of not working exceeds the pain of working."

-Stephen DeStaebler

I know what you are going through. I have had that problem at times over the years. Right now I am going through one, but have decided to get out of the funk by organizing and cleaning out my shop. Over the years it has been a terrible collection place for all sorts of stuff from camping gear to old tools, deck construction materials, and other odds and ends. In the last week I have finally found floor space bigger than 6'X6'! Now I will have to get all of the counters and benches organized so that I can get to work.

I also have had problems feeling like I needed to have more than just music to listen to. So I have put in a television set in the shop to watch when doing some of the mindless tasks like wedging, or throwing multiples. It does not really take away from my concentration as I usually watch old westerns I have seen, or old movies-nothing new. It is just background noise. When throwing large, or something new, or something complicated I usually have just music on.

-Green Day "Longview"

-Stephen DeStaebler

Herb being glued to the computer is not living, you need to live as if there is no tomorrow I try to. I was diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis 4 years ago and I never know when my body will betray me, I spent 3 months on the computer researching my disease. Then a ran across forum where a participant wrote that it was good to keep up with latest research and treatments but limit your time doing this to 30 minutes a day and then go live your life. I make my self get up and work when I am having a sluggish day and I start feeling better. So go live your life and enjoy. Denice

Wow - there is so much that could be said on the topic of motivation. I totally love my life and living it to the fullest. I even have become grateful for the difficulties - because- I become a better person after working thru the issues. Life is effort and rest. Good luck with looking within yourself for the answers

One of the best antidotes to procrastination is to reward yourself for an accomplishment. For instance, you can have a 10 minute break but only after you finish the first item on your to-do list.

Sincerely,

Arnold Howard

Paragon Industries, L.P., Mesquite, Texas USA

ahoward@paragonweb.com / www.paragonweb.com

Thanks to everybody for your kind words and helpful suggestions! I am late getting back to this thread because we did a so-so show over the weekend, and I was absolutely exhausted, as there were "extenuating circumstances" (one of our cats) to make me tired.

Anyway, thanks to your ideas, I was able to get out to the "garagio" and work, and was able to finally obtain a shape that I have been chasing for the past few years. It's close enough anyway, so it's a keeper!

The first pic shows the pot after some trimming, and before I cut it off the bat. I threw it upside down, as I do many of my pots these days, as I like to throw unusual, deep feet with funky profiles, and I find that easier than trimming them, especially when they are taller.

gallery_6875_308_31941.jpg

The second pic shows the pot almost at it's final shape, still needs lotsa work, but it was 1030pm last night when I finished and took these pics.

gallery_6875_308_18208.jpg

Looking pretty good, so thank you all for your help, gonna make some pots in a different style next, more along the lines of one of my favorite potters, Rob Sieminski.

Thanks to everybody for your kind words and helpful suggestions! I am late getting back to this thread because we did a so-so show over the weekend, and I was absolutely exhausted, as there were "extenuating circumstances" (one of our cats) to make me tired.

Anyway, thanks to your ideas, I was able to get out to the "garagio" and work, and was able to finally obtain a shape that I have been chasing for the past few years. It's close enough anyway, so it's a keeper!

The first pic shows the pot after some trimming, and before I cut it off the bat. I threw it upside down, as I do many of my pots these days, as I like to throw unusual, deep feet with funky profiles, and I find that easier than trimming them, especially when they are taller.

gallery_6875_306_4847.jpg

The second pic shows the pot almost at it's final shape, still needs lotsa work, but it was 1030pm last night when I finished and took these pics.

gallery_6875_306_38095.jpg

Looking pretty good, so thank you all for your help, gonna make some pots in a different style next, more along the lines of one of my favorite potters, Rob Sieminski.

Those are nice! If you don't mind me being nosy, what kind of clay are you using? It looks so dark and interesting!

How about taking a trip?

Lucille, these are fabulous ideas! You could be a life coach! biggrin.gif

Totally agree!! Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Someone asked me, in a message, how I finally get out to the studio. In the interests of privacy, I won't say who asked me, but I will say that I am not really sure what drives me out there.

For me, I guess the motivation has a few parts:

1. Time - I don't know about you, but I'm not getting any younger! I only have so many years to make work left, so I better get goin'! We can all hope to be Ruth Duckworth, who was able to work until about six weeks before she died, but we don't know. So I better just get on with it and seize the day. Don Reitz is still working, but has had to scale back in the past few years due to age issues, no more throwing 50 pounds of clay for him.

2.Failure - I guess the possibility of failure always lurks in the back of my mind; but I address this one rather directly - If I get out there and try to make something, I MIGHT fail, but then I might succeed, and rather well. But one thing is guaranteed - if I don't go out to the studio AT ALL, then I WILL "fail.", and have nothing to show. As Mr. Allen said "eighty percent of success is showing up."

3.Self Assessment - In Art and Fear, the authors make the point that you are not the best judge of your own work. So what I think falls short may be regarded as quite adequate to another. But I won't know unless I get out there and MAKE SOMETHING.

There are other points, so I'll add them as I think of them.

Someone asked me, in a message, how I finally get out to the studio. In the interests of privacy, I won't say who asked me, but I will say that I am not really sure what drives me out there.

For me, I guess the motivation has a few parts:

1. Time - I don't know about you, but I'm not getting any younger! I only have so many years to make work left, so I better get goin'! We can all hope to be Ruth Duckworth, who was able to work until about six weeks before she died, but we don't know. So I better just get on with it and seize the day. Don Reitz is still working, but has had to scale back in the past few years due to age issues, no more throwing 50 pounds of clay for him.

2.Failure - I guess the possibility of failure always lurks in the back of my mind; but I address this one rather directly - If I get out there and try to make something, I MIGHT fail, but then I might succeed, and rather well. But one thing is guaranteed - if I don't go out to the studio AT ALL, then I WILL "fail.", and have nothing to show. As Mr. Allen said "eighty percent of success is showing up."

3.Self Assessment - In Art and Fear, the authors make the point that you are not the best judge of your own work. So what I think falls short may be regarded as quite adequate to another. But I won't know unless I get out there and MAKE SOMETHING.

There are other points, so I'll add them as I think of them.

I can relate to the time and age problem as I am retired as of 2009. Sometimes I wonder how I was able to get everything done in a day. So now I find myself trying to make pots I want to make, pots for me, friends and relatives. Pots that don' necessarily sell, but appeal to my personal aesthetic. Funny thing is when being honest with myself, these forms are sought after by others. I like the repetition of throwing something like a series of mugs, but each one is different-I detest throwing sets, but do when asked-for a price. At the same time I create larger almost archeological pots, again just for me. Again they are liked by others. So when getting motivated, it may it is the idea that pushes me to get into the shop, and the fact that there arent that many more days and years to waste sitting around.

Archived