Installed New Sink, Clay Collection System

I finally installed a utility sink in my studio. YAY I can finally rinse buckets and stuff, the old sink that was there was so tiny I had a hard time filling a glass of water in it.

I have a Gleco Clay system connected to the drain but would like an additional step for extra protection. I remember reading somewhere something about sticking a piece of pvc pipe inside the sink in the drain and somehow it collected some of the goop before it hits the drain. Is it JUST a piece of pipe? If so how long? If not what modifications do I need to do to it to make it work?

A link in the right direction or any input on this will be greatly appreciated!

T

a simple bucket inside the sink will work well enough for most people.  the pipe simply sits in the drain hole and keeps thick clay from falling down inside.  the trouble with it is that it is taller, (you decide its height), than the bottom of the sink and sticks out just enough to be in the way.  every time you want to wash something, it will get knocked over.  cleaning out the goop that eventually collects in the bottom of the sink is not fun.

if you just put a small bucket into the sink and use it to wash your hands and tools, you can empty it into the drain after the clay has settled into the bottom.  that way, you control the amount of junk that goes down the drain.  cleaning out the excess is only necessary occasionally and a rubber spatula will wipe the bucket out clean. dump it into a plastic bag and it is gone.

A sink with that exact trap system is on my short list of things to do in my studio next.  I have a sink not terribly far away, but I can dump slop water in it.

Hmmmm... In regards to your question on the extra step,  one thing that comes to mind is adhering a piece of PVC sticking up vertically from the sink drain.  Then, when you pour the water into the sink, you pour it outside that PVC.  The water level fills over time, and when it gets full enough to go over the top of the vertical pipe, it will just be water.  The heavier stuff will have settled to the bottom.

My college studio had a couple commercially designed sinks with this set up.  One of the schools I taught at, I made one, by gluing a piece of PVC over the drain, as I mentioned.  I used a glue that was removable, as that sink served other duties, in the Semester when we weren't doing ceramics.  I initially tried caulk, but it didn't handle being submerged well.  So I ended up using Gorilla Glue, which held well, and was removable later on.

I,m with old lady just use a small bucket ln the sink that way you pour off the water which will be clean
The bucket will have the settled muck which you can take away and dry and throw away.
The tall pickup  tube system still has a bunch of settled junk in sink which is harder to deal with.

I have a settling system in my basement but my first catch is a dish washing pan in the sink.  I wash my hands and tools in it let it settle over night drain off the clear water and toss the clay in the bottom.  It makes a huge difference on how fast my settling system gets full.   Denice

I have a simple utility sink, a Gleco trap, a wash & settle bucket that I use first, and one other thing...a small steel mesh drain cover that catches any globs that get in the flow to the drain. It is such a joy to get a sink when you didn't have one, isn't it! 

Thanks everyone!

I think I will put a small bucket in the bottom of the sink to catch some of the stuff from cleaning up. I have to keep it fairly small since with my back lifting anything heavy can be an issue. But if I carefully pour off as much excess water as I can that should help. With the new sink I can also go up to a larger size in of Gleco containers, not the biggest unfortunately, but bigger than the small one I currently have and that should help as well. I tell myself work smarter not harder.

The new sink is sooooo nice I could actually wash out a quart size container today without turning flips! Yippee, weird the things that make a person happy. It will also be easier to fill my Pugs large automatic water feeder, before I had to use a glass to fill it up little bit by little bit. Oh and don't tell the Pugs but it means I can also bathe them downstairs as Well! Shhhh Pugs that don't know about pending bath time are happy Pugs.

Only thing left to do is install the 5 inch deep wooden shelf I am putting in over the sink. It will be so nice to have someplace to set stuff while working around the sink since I have no counters in there. Brackets are up and shelf is painted on one side and drying so that should be completed tomorrow.

Thanks again everyone.

T

post-2431-0-65235000-1455836936_thumb.jpgterry, another thing to consider is a small wire corner drainer.  if you screw it into the corner, you can let wet sponges, etc drip right into the sink.  i installed mine with a 3 inch strip of aluminum siding.  just bent it over the wire and screwed it into the top corner.  will try a picture.  do not notice how dirty the sink is, please.

post-2431-0-65235000-1455836936_thumb.jpg

Bioman - that's exactly why I am doing a two step collection as I wonder sometimes how much it collects and how much stays fluid and goes down the drain. Looked at possibly daisy chaining 2 Gleco containers together but decided to try an in sink collection setup along with the Gleco. I am figuring collect some in the sink whatever makes it past there will get caught by the Gleco.

I have been using the smallest Gleco because of such limited space with old sink but have figured out I can go up to the 64 oz container now. Have ordered that and will switch to using it. Am wondering if a bigger bottle will allow more settling and catch more stuff.

T

Archived