Are You Brave Enough..

I never wipe my clay hands on my pants thats why I have a clay sink and a hanging towel after the water-I wash off clay hands dozens of times every day-just part of the process-every weekend I do the clay cloths in the special outside clay cloths washing machine. Of course I am covered in clay without that wiping of pants its my full time job-I'm not a clean freak

I'm far from the neat one of the group. I have taken to wearing an apron as I used to just have a collection of old T-shirts that piled up in the studio and required a process to clean them. I've walked into the house after a session and my wife laughs as I have a smear of clay across my face and in my hair. Neat means you aren't working hard enough....right? It doesn't mean I'm a slob.

I'm also a messy thrower and have some dedicated clothing for pottery such as shorts, tee shirts, crocs and aprons. When I work at the community college studio I need to change clothes and clean up quickly because I teach Pilates and CPR classes right after the open studios on some days. I usually discover during those classes that I missed a few spots when tidying up, usually my legs or face and hair and even on my clean clothes, no matter how well I think I washed.

When I work at home, especially in my backyard, I hose myself and my clothes off before going into the house. I leave the clothes outside to dry and only put them in the washer when they are free of clay.

P.S. I also believe if I'm too clean after a few hours of throwing I didn't work hard enough.

I'm a notoriously messy worker. Careful, demanding of myself, but mucky in the process.

I have a number of changes of clothes for different activities: my painting trousers look as if they're waiting to be cut up, framed and hung in some gallery where art critics could murmur knowingly about whatever it is they think. My gardening trousers have permanently stained knees from the clay soil round here. My woodworking trousers have wood glue and sawdust permanently bonded to them.

I don't have a wheel, but I still get clayey (?) on my thighs and chest from constantly wiping my hands, so I was given a fantastic potter's apron for Christmas which keeps my clothes safe for once. It's brilliant! It was designed by a potter who must be at least as messy as me - because it works!

Girts

I'm a notoriously messy worker. Careful, demanding of myself, but mucky in the process.

I have a number of changes of clothes for different activities: my painting trousers look as if they're waiting to be cut up, framed and hung in some gallery where art critics could murmur knowingly about whatever it is they think. My gardening trousers have permanently stained knees from the clay soil round here. My woodworking trousers have wood glue and sawdust permanently bonded to them.

I don't have a wheel, but I still get clayey (?) on my thighs and chest from constantly wiping my hands, so I was given a fantastic potter's apron for Christmas which keeps my clothes safe for once. It's brilliant! It was designed by a potter who must be at least as messy as me - because it works!

Girts

All you have to do is .....wear it!

Now that is not always easy

PJ's.

I have a bunch of flannel PJs and old t-shirts and "cheaper than crocs" crocs.  Plus raggy old towels. I tend to work right after breakfast,  until noon, then head to the shower, passing the washing machine along the way to throw my pj's in the wash.   I buy flannel PJ's whenever I see a good buy.

• 5 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Leggings and a ripped/distressed old t-shirt. I prefer the mobility of leggings and yoga pants, I dislike wearing jeans. Leggings are soft and comfortable, I ALWAYS wear an apron! I have a pair of designated mud-sneakers. I get the most clay on my thighs/feet, I throw very wet.

Ends up in weird places like my ears, armpits, lower back.... how did it get there?

I wear old gym clothes, figured since I can't lift weights anymore they might as well get used for something. They are comfortable and I don't care if they get stained. I also always wear an apron, in fact I have aprons for all the various activities, one for throwing, one for hand building and one for glazing. I periodically hang them over the fence outside to let the rain wash them clean. They are slowing accruing stains that won't entirely come out but consider that a badge of honor. I have taken to wearing crocs and have a dedicated pair for just the studio. My hair? Well IF I remember to brush it in the way down I will either pull it back or simply tuck it behind my ears.

I do find clay or glaze stuck to me in the weirdest places... My armpit? How did it get there? The back of my upper arm, backs of my calves etc. maybe I see and wipe off the front parts throughout the day leaving the unseen spots to discover once I am upstairs that evening. I don't think I am particularly messy unless I am glazing I always seem to make a mess when I do that. The fact I use Temmoku and blue rutile glazes a lot doesn't help as their brick red color stains everything! How does one dip, pour or brush glazes on and not get spots all over themselves.

T

I usually wear a pair of shorts in the Summer, and Jeans in the Fall and Spring. Tops are t's either long or short sleeve. Summer large pots usually no shirt because of the drag if the sleeve gets in the way. Lots of times I hose off at the end of a session, and drip dry.

This was a bad habit I got from PSU, doing Summer classes in the FArts dept. At night there, usually after 10pm you could go in to the studio and find all sorts of dress in the 70's, from shorts to bvd's ,swim suits, panties and bras, bikini's and more normal stuff. Temps in there would often be over 100 at night, with the kilns running, and the high heat and humidity of the Summer in mid PA. Lots of times I would work through the night with a quart of chocolate milk and coffee to keep going. This when there were young kids at home for my wife to take care of. I usually took one week, sometimes two for vacation, but I had more than the requirements done.

best,

Pres

• 2 months later...

I was hoping to see the long aprons that we worn in the 70's that tied around your legs.  At the end of the semester we would stand them up to see whose stood the best.   I still wear a regular apron and worn out clothes,  I mostly handbuild and do some throwing with very little water, wearing the apron mean I am ready to work.   Denice

I have one of those! Love it!! But I never think to put it on. I am a messy potter.

Archived