Are You Brave Enough..

Just glanced st the aprons and ACCESSORIES for potters.. in the Gallery.. Brought a smile to my face.. are any of you game to post what you wear when potting and how you look at he end of a potting session.

I'm hoping some of you will put my mind to rest as I obviously have not been keeping up Appearances..

Guest JBaymore

I throw pretty dry.  No splash pans on the wheels (hate em').... little water.... don't need them.  So not really "messy" most days.  Rarely anything even gets on my pants.  At the most a speck or two.  As Chris says, when I am handbuilding...... almost nothing on the clothes.

Usually wearing jeans and a button up shirt.  Often a hachimaki (Japanese cloth headband) to keep the hair under control.  In the winter, a warm vest is usually added. 

Sometimes a samue top (Japanese craftsman's shirt/top) in the summer...... when the mood strikes. VERY cool and comfortable. 

best,

................john

I was hoping to see the long aprons that we worn in the 70's that tied around your legs.  At the end of the semester we would stand them up to see whose stood the best.   I still wear a regular apron and worn out clothes,  I mostly handbuild and do some throwing with very little water, wearing the apron mean I am ready to work.   Denice

I'm actually in a bit of a dilemma because tomorrow I'm attending a workshop for the first time and I don't want to go in my regular work clothes but at the same time I don't want to ruin my nice clothes or shoes! LOL Heaven forbid people should actually see what I work in!  

I throw in an old, holey, stained and shrunken zipper hoodie that I put on over whatever shirt I was wearing that day. I usually wear a pair of paint pants or at any rate old pants because I use some dark clay bodies that stain everything. I have some very nice jeans that are now clay pants after encountering Hawaiian Red. Then when I sit down I put a big old towel over my lap. Works great. 

I sat down yesterday, threw three items. I was covered in clay to my elbows, had some in my hair, on my shirt and smeared all over the towel. I am definitely a very messy thrower! :) My dad made this elaborate front coverall thing for himself out of an old pair of jeans with straps that go behind his knees and everything. So he threw today, eight items, and has like two smears on the coverall and he did have to wash his hands. I think that he needs to give the coverall to me. 

My potting uniform consists of camouflage cargo shorts, charcoal sleeveless shirt, super old white Nikes, and a bandana especially if I am wearing my hearing aids, followed up with a apron and towel. I get covered in clay. I own a dozen or so of that same shirt and a dozen camouflage shorts. Oh wait....I wear is get up most everywhere I go but with black steel toe Docs and a black baseball hat backwards. People must think I do laundry everyday.

A few items-I built a mud room for changing shoes and clothes-nice bench for shoes under and to sit on while taking on or off.

I leave my clay pants out there as well as shoes from studio-no clay clothes in house.

No clay cloths in house washer as well

I have my own washer just for clay cloths-pants towels etc out in kiln area-its cold water only I use NO soap-and it drains into my gutter water drains  from kiln shed which daylight in lower field.

zero issues with clay in house after this move in early 90's

years ago i went to a local community college evening class taught by my good friend.  it was nice to get out of my own studio each week and be among other potters.  i only learned later that i was the subject of speculation.  "why does she wear white shirts all the time?  is she showing off that she doesn't get muddy like the rest of us?" 

no, i wore white shirts because i got 6 of them on sale for about $3 apiece and i could BLEACH them.

Denim overalls, short sleeved T-shirt, and tennis shoes that are extremely comfortable on concrete. I do not where my hearing aids - the whine of the Brent wheel is just too much. In the summer overalls with the legs cut off to make shorts - kinda picture a Rodeo clown outfit - HA. I throw wet but it is usually only my hands that get clay on them. I wipe my hands on a towel or the leg of the overalls after washing in the throwing water.

I wear yoga pants & t-shirts, light weight & take up minimal room in the wash. I have a towel on my left knee to wipe hands after rinsing in throwing water. Most of my mess is on the tummy part of the t-shirt.

I don't have much hum on either wheel, a whisper for trimming & a Thomas Stuart for throwing so keep the hearing aids in & put the music on or a book.

Happy happy

I don't own nice clothing for everyday. Instead, I have a few outfits that are set aside so I look presentable at shows. Jeans and t shirt are my usual uniform. I wear a bandanna to keep my hair out of my throwing, and I have two aprons, one black and one a bright leaf green eyelet that I made myself. My throwing towels take probably 90% of the clay.

I usually get covered in clay, though I do use an apron.  The issue is wiping clay off your hands so you can lift a pot to the board.  I try to have tea towels to wipe my hands, but if I forget, I have to use the apron, or my pants if I forgot to put on the apron.

I wish I were better organized.

My trousers have always been wearable hand towels. Consistently have clay all over, it's hip and cool right? Renegade painter decorator fashion.

LOL I was about to ask you where you get wearable handtowels, must be a british line of towel... then I got it! Must say wearable hand towels did sound quite attractive....

Used to do a lot of hand wiping, not wringing, but recently have been using a paint scraper to lift pots from the wheel. Less distortion maybe..

Like rayadridge, have aprons, made myself Deisel Clay, good bib pocket, but neglect very often to put them on body, and so end up with the High bridge approach of wearable hand towels, and even forget the hair ties but clay does have great adhesive qualities I have found. No selfies on this one, visualisation is good for the brain.

Ray, your clay covered hands can be cleaned easily with a wet towel.  just plunk a wrung out terrycloth hand towel into a small, dry bucket near the wheel.  form the habit early on and your hands will be clean enough to lift pots off the wheel right away.  the bucket, a small kids easter or halloween candy bucket is in the dollar store.  get one and put it close by as a dumping place for the messy towel.

(you will still have to wash that towel at some point.)

You guys are making me want to get a bandanna, I just use a hair bobble.

HB hair bobble...ever tried to get that out with clayed hands, and Uncool!!

Need a clay bespattered bandana, may be able to adapt one of your wearable hand towels!

That wet towel idea is a great one.  What I've done in the past is use the sponge in my bucket to clean my hands and then dry them on my shirt, because I have better luck picking up pots with dry hands.  Anything over 8 pounds or so, especially large bowls, I throw on bats, but everything else gets lifted to a board immediately..

I fear it's too late for me to form any habits early on.

Archived