Best Cone 10 Clear With Underglazes, Ox

Leva77

Hi, I am hoping that someone can help me out. I am looking for a cone 10 clear that works well in oxidation, specifically with underglazes, mason stains and color in general.

In our studio we have a Laguna Clear and another that work okay in reduction but not well with the colors our students use. 

I know it can be difficult to have some underglazes come through at cone 10, but, I'm hoping to find a really solid clear that doesn't bubble up, cloud or burn out the color so severely. We use a commercial speedball clear sometimes but it is getting too expensive and I would love to have one clear that can be used in the various kilns. 

Any recipes/info would be appreciated. 

Thanks.

Hi, I am hoping that someone can help me out. I am looking for a cone 10 clear that works well in oxidation, specifically with underglazes, mason stains and color in general.

In our studio we have a Laguna Clear and another that work okay in reduction but not well with the colors our students use. 

I know it can be difficult to have some underglazes come through at cone 10, but, I'm hoping to find a really solid clear that doesn't bubble up, cloud or burn out the color so severely. We use a commercial speedball clear sometimes but it is getting too expensive and I would love to have one clear that can be used in the various kilns. 

Any recipes/info would be appreciated. 

Thanks.

Which Laguna clear are you using? I've found that the Versa 5 Clear, MS-300, makes my iron oxide look really weird and sort of "erases" it even when the iron oxide is used almost pure. It also turned cloudy, almost matte, and crazed, but only on Speckled Buff and Hawaiian Red (both clay bodies containing high iron). On Moroccan Sand and B-Mix it's fine. I'm going to experiment with their Clear Bright to see what happens with oxide because that glaze is perfect on all four clays I mentioned, crystal clear and highly glossy. 

Archived