Amaco Velvet U.g.

Val

Not sure if this question should be here or in glaze chemistry.  I usually use Amaco Velvets on my stoneware greenware, then bisque and glaze fire. When there are small touch ups needed after bisque, I can usually do the touch up and go ahead with glaze, however if the touch up is large, such as when a large space needs a whole new coat of u.g., then  I usually re bisque because the glaze absorbs different;y on the new application. 

Recently I had a whole kiln load to touch up so I did a hardening on after bisque but before glaze firing at cone 022.  However I forgot to take out the electric kiln's bungs. Many colors went VERY UGLY ! I am not sure  if the reason is oxygen starvation of just not reaching a mature temperature??

Thanks

Val

I had the same thing happen. I touched up some Spectrum neon orange underglaze on 04 bisque, refired really low to burn off the binders and the touched up bits came out coffee coloured. Thought I used a dirty brush so tossed the pots. Did it again with other pots, same coffee colour, went ahead and glazed them and they came out the proper colour. 

Archived