Community Challenge #5

Thought I would post the beginnings of it now- in case the judges shoot me down. These are tiles because they are flat on the bottom side <eyeroll>

So far I have the Grand Tetons, Monument National Park, and the beginnings of Needle Parkway in S.D. Was thinking of adding Devils Monument, and perhaps something else from the Rockies. Inspired by the mountain lake just 5 miles SW of Mt. Rushmore.  "Mountain Lake in Winter"

Comm. Chall.  5

Glazing will be a trip.

Nerd

Matthew: Actually 3 times - once to bone dry (8-12%)- once in bisque (3-5%)- and once in glaze (2-3%).

Porcelain and Stoneware will throw the most fits when it comes to curling and warping.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'll predict that glazenerd is also using a specially formulated clay for tiles and a ram press! These things have a very dramatic influence on how pieces fire. Also I would say that commercially made (ram pressed) tiles will be a league beyond what most studio potters could make. The pressure applied in the industrial setting increase the uniformity of the clay.

For professionals I can see knowing the exact shrinkage amounts as being important. For beginners, I will stick to the advice "half the shrinkage to leather hard and half to the glaze firing". I'll get around to finding the exact numbers from a thrown piece with my clay one of these days...

All of my tiles were made with just a rolling pin as per my instructional post.

IMG 2606

Unless pressure can be applied across the tile, the edges will curl a little as the tile dries to leather hard. This is why making the final cut after this stage has been reached is good advice!

IMG 2607

Scratching the backs helps mitigate crack formation in firing.

IMG 2609

The cuts only need to slice 3/4 of the way into the clay to be cleanly broken off. Avoid scarring your work surfaces!

IMG 2610

Smoothing the edges (top and bottom) helps compact the clay which will also prevent cracking. The round corners are also a good functional aesthetic.

Matthew:

Ram press- No.. although I could.  Custom clay -yes. I slab roll it, and let it set until bone dry. Does not curl, warp or crack.

In your first picture, I can see where you passed the knife and pulled the clay past the side cut.( looks like a curled end.) When cutting, pull from edge to center, then from the other edge to center. This does not distort the edges of the clay on each end.

Trick one: lets say you are wanting 6" tiles for the challenge. Then slab roll 12" wide minimum: and cut 2" off each side. The center is always more uniform in density than the outside edges. Then once it hits leather hard, trim off another 1/2" off each side.  You still have plenty left for shrinkage.

Nerd

Sky Blue and Black (watercolor)

The watercolor Sky Blue and Black based loosely on some aspects of the Jackson Browne song Sky Blue and Black is what I am going for.

Sky Blue and Black (unfinished tiles)

The leather hard tiles. Currently 6x8" each. With iron oxide and combinations of zinc-cobalt in slips and clays. The final glazing will be done with clear/tenmoku/cobalt blue.

Bisqued tiles

Bisque fired. A brief moment of clarity as the cobalt comes to life.

Glazing part 1

Different thicknesses of glossy blue/clear in the top and tenmoku on the lower section.

Glazing part 2

A top coat of clear is added to even things out and also change the tenmoku to a lighter color. Funny how being finished is basically back to being a blank slate.

Sky Blue and Black

Maybe I will have it grouted and hung before the challenge is over. Each tile is about 7.5" by 5.5". The bottom center tile cracked-- rather nicely and in a way that works very well with the piece. I would move the horizon line between sky and water up a little if I did this piece again. The transition at the tile edge lacks clarity.

The glare on the bottom is horrible but with overhead lighting it is hard to avoid.

• 2 weeks later...

I happened to make a few tiles for a demo a couple weeks ago ... only five, and they don't really go together. However if I run out of time I fully intend to post them anyway! I'm a rebel! LOL 

I've still got a very nice set of 6.  Need to make some more to finish the 9.  Ummmm, when does this challenge finish? End of April, should be able to do this, just have to remember.......

• 2 weeks later...

post-26461-0-79113800-1459481550_thumb.jpg

This is my final entry.  Unfortunately it cracked to pieces... :huh: Next time I need to compress the tiles more.   The good news is that all of the glazes I made by hand.  The green matte did not show as many streak marks in testing as on the tiles.  But, I really like the texture of the tree... :)

Jed 

post-26461-0-79113800-1459481550_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

well i didn't make deadline (life gets in way of pottery) after some issues.  (see tests above).....  they are in kiln now ( i hope)  i ended up making about 21 "tiles" ranging in sizes for a commission,    ill still post when they are finished.    from yesterdays glazing session ...... 9x 12 inch  (ish) tiles.  while a loose interpretation of guidelines  these are destined to be used as platters for a pastry case, at local bakery.   (but as i was glazing a saw the sheer mass of project  I'm thinking wall piece)

jackson pollock inspired

post-25544-0-44384200-1462129558_thumb.jpgpost-25544-0-76906400-1462130380_thumb.jpg

post-25544-0-44384200-1462129558_thumb.jpg

post-25544-0-76906400-1462130380_thumb.jpg

they look good, where will they go, chilly?

Thank you.  (Run out of Likes, must be re-set on a different time zone as I think I'm on a new day here ! )

They're sitting on the "for sale" shelf at the centre.  I made them to test different slips on different clays, and my first attempt at carving through slip.

If I didn't already have enough coasters for the Queen's Tea Party........I'd keep some

Archived