trying to make fake coral

perrr

Hello everyone. I am new to this forum and am looking forward to learning more about ceramics. I have only been enjoying working with clay for a few years, but have fallen in love with all the possibilities of this medium. It is truly unbelievable all the things clay offers. My question today is that I would like to duplicate (not my making a mold) a coral fan. These fake coral fans are expensive to buy and i would like to try to make one using clay. We just bought a small beach cottage and would love to make this for decoration. I sttsvhed a photo of what I am aiming for, of course not in those bright colors. lol Any help you can offer to get the texture and theeffect I need is greatly appreciated. Thanks, Lisa

post-6895-131727606607_thumb.jpg

post-6895-131727606607_thumb.jpg

Greetings Lisa,

I too am new to the medium and equally as fond of the possibilities as yourself. I would think the coral fans would be relatively easy to make. Getting the texture will take some practice but I bet by experimenting with various tools, such as a stiff brisle hairbrush or the like will garner acceptable results. In any case go get some clay under yer fingernails and give it a shot. Dont forget to get pics!

Good luck and God bless,

Mark

One thing I have used for this kind of texture is the mesh filter from furnace humidifier ... You might be able to find the ones I'm talking about in hardware stores. If you take off the outer cover, the inside is a very textured black meshy thing. I dunk this in 'yogurt thick' slip then press it onto the form and pull back. It leaves a bit of a tail that smooths down during firing. It also does sand texture very well.

p.s. Thank you very much for not buying the real sea fans!

I've done similar texture, using paper clay slip (made from oversaturated paper clay, NOT the P'Slip you buy in a jar). The fibers give it even more texture. Thanks for the filter hint, Chris, that will work better than the scrubbie pad and baby hairbrush I've been using. I'm thinking one of those washable/reusable filters thast I use in my glaze booth might even fit the bill.

Thanks from me, too, for not buying the real coral fans. The Earth is losing coral faster than it can grow. I wonder if fired clay artificial coral could be used as "seed beds" for new coral. Anyone know a marine biologist?

Not a biologist but a scuba diver ... Almost anything down there is a growth site for hard and soft corals. We used to try to bring up trash in the interest of cleaning up but stopped because most of the time somebody is living on/ in it ... amazing what critters can squeeze into that small opening of a soda can!

I have a few small paddles (just scrap pieces of wood) that I've put glue drips on. Different types of glue give different size drips, so experiment! They make a great coral type surface. If the wood surface is large enough, you can also roll coils across them.

Greetings Lisa,

I too am new to the medium and equally as fond of the possibilities as yourself. I would think the coral fans would be relatively easy to make. Getting the texture will take some practice but I bet by experimenting with various tools, such as a stiff brisle hairbrush or the like will garner acceptable results. In any case go get some clay under yer fingernails and give it a shot. Dont forget to get pics!

Good luck and God bless,

Mark

Try making a set of rolling boards using drill press holes, and drop glue drops. Two boards rolled with coil between will get you a pretty varied surface, then add some pencil point areas for more texture accents. When making the rolling boards-make one board and cut it into 1/2-2/3 pieces-larger one on the bottom. I have made similar boards after seeing the commercial waffle boards out there for sale.

• 3 months later...

After reading this topic, I used one of those plastic kitchen pot scrubbers and it worked perfectly! I cut it apart to get in those tight spaces and dipped it in homemade slip. The more chunky the slip, the better the texture. I also scuba and can tell you the texture was very realistic!

Glad to see that there are a couple of other scuba divers on this forum.

Probably more than just a few, I'm a NAUI certified Master Scuba Diver, formerly volunteered with Scripps Institute as a research diver, dove with Sylvia Earle and also Mel Fisher, taught SCUBA diving at Orange Coast College in Costa Mesa. I've been diving regularly since 1956.

Regards,

Charles

Archived