Harry Davis,potter,engineer

Does anyone know of a film or video regarding the life of Harry Davis? He had a pottery with a water-wheel. He made beautiful functional pots. Worked in New Zealand,England and South America.

Thanks,

TJR.

I apologize. I am a two finger typest. That one got away on me.

Harry Davis. A contemorary of Michael Cardew.

Tom.

Guest JBaymore

Ray,

Spot on.

"The Potter's Alternative" is one of those "if you were shipwrecked on a desert island, what 10 books would you bring" books.

best,

...................john

Ray,

Spot on.

"The Potter's Alternative" is one of those "if you were shipwrecked on a desert island, what 10 books would you bring" books.

best,

...................john

John, is that because you'd have instructions for building your own studio/ studio equipment on said island?

Rescue Crew:  "You're safe.  We're here to take you home."

Stranded Potter:  "Well...I'm kind in the middle of a firing right now...  Can you come back in a couple days?..."

Guest JBaymore

John, is that because you'd have instructions for building your own studio/ studio equipment on said island?

Yes...... even if you have few tools.

And add to that shipwreck list...... "Pioneer Pottery" by Michael Cardew (Not the similar titled "Pioneer Potter"), and the "Potters Dictionary of Materials and Techniques", Hammar and Hammar.

And great follow up scenario you described there.  SO true! ;)

best,

.................john

I'll echo John here.  I have both Cardew and the Hamers' book.  Both great books as books, as well as useful and inspirational. 

When I started out, I thought I wanted to be Bernard Leach.  I soon realized that Cardew was a lot more impressive as a potter and as a person.

(Though I still have my little red book and regard it as somewhat sacred.)

• 1 month later...

Ok this thread cost me a book to buy-its on the way now-now I need a island to get shipwrecked on.

I'm working on that now as well.

Well Mark Throw an island, I've read about potters being involved in laying down artificial reefs, maybe you just have to MAKE your island , buy the book, then get shipwrecked, send a mayday to John, he'll be able to help you with the woodfiring

and then write a book about the experience, retirement looms so don't waste any more time.

All three of these books, "Pioneer Pottery" by Michael Cardew, "The Potter's Alternative",  "Potters Dictionary of Materials and Techniques", have been on my shelves for many many years. They have only come down when I have been interested in perusing a particular topic, and they are usually by first go to. I will admit that the Potters Dictionary of Materials and Techniques is the one I go to most often, as I often have interest in looking up materials, cracks, decorating techniques, and oddities in that book. It is a treasure. 

best,

Pres

Been skimming through Hamer and Hamer since I left KC.  I prefer the books with technical information. Slowly but surely building my own database that can be crossed referenced. Hopefully will have a 20-30 page reference guide printed for the studio for instant info and data.

Nerd

Archived