Glazing Question

I'm trying to glaze a pitcher a dark glaze on the outside, which I will spray on, and then apply a lighter glaze on the inside. Is there a way to protect the dark outside glaze from drips of the inside glaze, which will be poured? Thanks for your help!

Glaze the inside first! Wipe away any drips, allow to dry, then spray the outside. If you want the inside glaze to overlap the outside glaze at the rim, clean an appropriate portion of the rim bare after you glaze the inside, then do a rim dip after you spray the outside. If you don't want any of the sprayed glaze to get inside, you might be able to use Press and Seal wrap or wax resist to mask off the interior during your spraying.

Pour glaze inside and just past where you want the liner glaze to go to on the rim of the pitcher. Let it dry a bit (it doesn't have to be totally bone dry) then wax resist over the glaze in the pitcher neck area, (leaving a tiny bit of the liner glaze unwaxed at the meeting point of the 2 glazes) and as far down as you can reach with a brush. Let the wax dry then wipe of any liner glaze that doesn't have wax on it, this way you will have a clean line where the 2 glazes meet and not a bit of unglazed clay. Spray the outside and then wipe off any spray that has gotten on the wax resisted part.

you guys work very hard at this.  yes, do the interior first then put the pot on a support that reaches inside all the way to the bottom with a little extra. turn it upside down and put it all on a banding wheel.   spray glaze downward as the pot rotates.  only cleanup is the overspray on the banding wheel and support.

sorry, i thought i had a picture of this simple setup.  it is basically a stick on a base.  the stick is padded so it does not damage the interior of a pot.  it is about 15 inches tall.  had been a paper towel stand originally and i converted it.

edited to add pictures!  first shows greenware pot with slip work, second shows white glaze covering.  finished pot is in the gallery somewhere.

post-2431-0-35662500-1454624791_thumb.jpg

post-2431-0-07826800-1454624986_thumb.jpg

post-2431-0-35662500-1454624791_thumb.jpg

post-2431-0-07826800-1454624986_thumb.jpg

Archived