Out Of Print Authors Should Cad/or Ask Their Publisher To Do Vids

Too Many Active Potter or Potters with estates have had their books go  un-reprinted too long.  IMO Lynn Peters among others. IMO they should either actively ask their publisher to reissue/or print on request individually, to consider at least allowing their books to go to video downloads on their publishers print; or go to CAD if their publisher will  at least allow a short term license for CAD to sell Publish on request vids or publish on request books

What other  OUT OF PRINT Books would you like re-published  or go to vid too?

• 3 months later...

Amazon had 'glazes for special effects" by Herbert Sanders for $9.90. Great book. It includes good info on macro crystalline glazes among many other techniques. I used my copy to help with my thesis in 1972 on Macro-crystalline glazes. Great out of print for decades..

Marcia

the sanders book is in every library i have ever been in.  unless they sold it because it was not checked out enough.

i would like to find the one by a british potter who advocated using cooking oil from restaurants as a fuel.  had a teapot on the cover, the jacket was mostly soft green but i cannot remember his name or the title.  something like the resourceful potter.

Marcia: I bought Mr. Sanders book about five years ago or so ??? something like that.

My wife is a part owner in a small publishing company: so the answer is not that simple. It costs a fair amount of money (in some cases) to release second, third, or fourth editions. In the case of the original authors who have passed: unless rights were assigned at the time of the first release: then their estates would have to authorize any later editions. "Electronic" media or publications are protected under the same terms as printed editions: so authorization to release electronic versions still require authorization. If the author assigned rights to the original publisher for any and all future publications: then someone could purchase those rights from the original publisher who owns them. Given the age of some of these books: I would suspect that the original publishers own the rights: not the author.

Nerd

the sanders book is in every library i have ever been in. unless they sold it because it was not checked out enough.

i would like to find the one by a british potter who advocated using cooking oil from restaurants as a fuel. had a teapot on the cover, the jacket was mostly soft green but i cannot remember his name or the title. something like the resourceful potter.

Dennis Parks book was reprinted by Axner. He originally published it in 1980. he used recycled oil from fast food places in Elko,Nevada.A Potter's Guide to Raw Glazing and Oil Firing Hardcover – 1980

by Dennis Parks (Author)

Axner was reprinting several classics for a while. where I live in South Texas, not all libraries have ceramics related books.

marcia

• 4 weeks later...

Oldlady

i would like to find the one by a british potter who advocated using cooking oil from restaurants as a fuel.  had a teapot on the cover, the jacket was mostly soft green but i cannot remember his name or the title.  something like the resourceful potter.

You may be interested in

Firing with Vegetable Oil by John Britt

http://ceramicartsdaily.org/wp-content/uploads/2009/02/cmapr03vegoilbritt.pdf

The thread

vegetable oil kiln injection

http://www.potters.org/subject84044.htm

... this mentions "Dennis Parks book on oil firing" which I take to be

A Potter's Guide to Raw Glazing and Oil Firing by Dennis Parks

I'm in no position to comment on its quality, but 2nd hand copies are available in the UK

from Amazon for 18 pounds-ish (shipped from the USA).

Regards, Peter

met a ceramics teacher from Bowling Green, Ky who was a great experimenter of kilns and burners. met him in 1971 or so when he came through the grad studios on a Sunday. we sat and talked oil for a long time. I visited him with other grad students a few years later. his yard was amazing. Somewhere in my mass of slides I have photos of his kilns. he fired with waste oil and filtered it through charcoal briquettes in a 5 pound coffee can. it looked like a primitive IV.

marcia

Marcia-

I know you've been in clay a long time, but I think you really meant 1971 and not 1071. Would make you having like 840 years of experience! Aren't keyboards arranged conveniently? Toothlessly trying to smile since we're of an age....

Marcia-

I know you've been in clay a long time, but I think you really meant 1971 and not 1071. Would make you having like 840 years of experience! Aren't keyboards arranged conveniently? Toothlessly trying to smile since we're of an age....

Archived