New Kiln Wash Flakes Off

cbarnes

I have a new kiln and have tried applying the kiln wash twice now (sanding it all off after the first attempt.  Using commercial wash, milk chocolate consistency, three coats, mostly drying between. 

flakes off more and more after every fire.  what am I doing wrong?  to thick??  not letting it dry enough between layers?

thanks you!

mine is the same as above-no issues in 40 years with it-it costs more to make but it really works well.

Alumina hydrate 50%

EPK                    25%

calcined epk       25%

I apply it as a thick cream consistency with a paint roller with a roller with a drip expanded metel tray hanging in 5 gallon bucket.

I load it up and roll the shelve with two passes to cover a 12x 24-let it sun dry and apply another coat.

fire with bisque pots on it in bisque load then high fire with pots  on it 

Bad kiln wash. It's probably got too much clay in it, which is causing it to shrink too much and fall off. Here's what I use:

3 scoops alumina hydrate

3 scoops flint

1 scoop kaolin

If it settles out too much, add another scoop of kaolin.

I just recently grinded and wire wheeled my shelves at my brothers house. I just put on new kiln wash using Neil's recipe. I dried them in the sun on my driveway and no flaking at all. I am going to bisque them tonight. I had to use another scoop of kaolin though mine was settling way to fast.

Thanks Neil.

Archived