To Me

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Let me think about this:

Blue skies, blue oceans, blue topaz, aquamarine, blueberries, bluegill, blue dolphins, blue whales, bluebells, and Kentucky has blue grass. Apparently blue is a popular color in nature, and has a calming effect on the soul. Is the mug blue, or are you?

Nerd

“Life is indeed colorful. We can feel in the pink one day, with our bank balances comfortably in the black, and the grass seemingly no greener on the other side of the fence. Then out of the blue, something tiresome happens that makes us see red, turn ashen white, even purple with rage. Maybe controlling our varying emotions is just 'color management' by another name.â€

---Alex Morritt, Impromptu Scribe

As I drink from a joyful, beautifully designed, well executed and perfectly fired blue mug ... I totally disagree.

YOU are in charge of the work you create.

I believe Andy is appealing to the idea that true creativity comes from a kind of disciplined mental quiet and to achieve such quiet comes after a great deal of work--not all of which is great.. According to that kind of doctrine, you can not be intuitively creative (and therefore authentically expressive) if you have anxieties about whether or not your piece is going to work out. It comes from confidence, and the ability to make your work an immediate extension of your will. That's a long, frustrating road.

I should let AndyL speak for himself, but that's what I took from the sentiments he's expressed here.

Well, I guess I get tired of potters bashing blue ... Equating using blue to selling out, selling your soul.

Personally I like BLUE. Anyone who has tried perfecting a wonderful blue glaze knows it is difficult.

Working with cobalt is no picnic either. Don't even start with blue on white if you want an easy life.

Blue is a beautiful color that causes happiness ... probably why people buy it.

Maybe a blue mug exists out there without a soul, sold at some xmart or other large outlet, but even some mass produced designer blue mugs can be quite interesting. Myself, I have found that the color is there for an accent to the texture and pattern in the clay, so what if it is blue, brown, yellow, burnt orange, or green, but heaven forbid not fire engine red! :rolleyes:

best,

PRes

I could have said any color..... the operating word is souless, If you want perfection without individuality in the creation of a moment of your mind frozen at the time your experience, asthetics (sp?) and learned skills have brought you to then create something in plastic or buy it at retail store that sell mass produced cookie cutter ceramics. Always make the best you can create at the time you do . You MAY feel the piece you sell is junque years from the time you sold it or presented it as a gift. If you truly believe it was the best you could make at the time it was not souless..... whatever it's color was. Look in the mirror and see more than surface, BE more then surface. YOU are You and whatever you create you have to make the best you can...... it will live at least 20000 years past you even in shards AND show your human condition at the time of creation.

De gustibus non disputandum, sed de anima, multa incerta.

I sometimes wish I could communicate in more languages........I barely get along in American English as it is. It is an art to be able to communicate well. I will always try to evolve .... and hopefully learn more language as I continue to grow. I have no idea what you've said YET. My fear sometimes as you evolve and age long enough to finally "Get It" you die. :)

If your Latin is rusty, try Google translator.

Good idea my Shaman...thanks for pointing me in a direction to  potential understand and grow more. A lot of people should add their insights and knowledge here. When there is no fear for judgement or histrionics happening  a community rises like cream.

At this point  the Google Page my browser found does not translate Latin to English in a layman's knowledge. Since all I can see is black and white on screen I have no idea of it's sound and emotion in speech or whether a wrong or different inflection can change the overall meaning of the "massage" it's tries to convey. Any help you can suggest to find a no-charge online translator that would speak the pre & post posted phase would be a help to me as well as the other curious members of the community here. Thanks ahead of time for your help. It's greatly appreciated

Right now i just detubed a pottery poster that says on it "Mesa Verde Mugs Authentic Pottery Replicas by Clint Swink". The pictures of the mugs are amazing as well as the designs on each mug. There are questions in my mind though since the poster doesn't say replicas. Are they spot on reproduction  for study, in the techniques of the Mesa Verde dwellers or modern interpretation. Mr. Swink. did an amazing job in whatever case I've mentioned. Like I've said it MAY be my error in interpretation. Until I learn otherwise  my hunch they are in the style of the inspirational pieces similar to how Maria Martinez was asked to 'recreate" historic pottery.

• 3 weeks later...

Sometimes I wonder when I look at my photo records ...... How could I have made such crummy stuff and be happy to give it as gifts to people I respect and consider friends over the years. Then I remember and truly believe they were the best pieces I was making then. I feel it's the best idea to always build skills....there are no failures in any form of art but just unplanned results. THE trick in learning and building skills IMO is by growing by figuring out the process that created the unplanned result so you can get the result you want; BUT MORE importantly take the process of the unplanned result to create another way to make pieces.

• 2 weeks later...

There is no such thing as a mistake.

Only an unexpected result.

The trick is to gleen from this..........

How to duplicate it when you want it

or choose to avoid it in a project

THEN ideally to examine this unplanned result

and see the potential for a new technique

• 2 weeks later...

Archived