Slab Roller

I'm in a class and while using the slab roller with some clay that was some what wet I stained the canvas,oh my god the instructor had a fit,I suggested washing the canvas but she said it can't be done because it won't dry smooth and will leave marks on the next persons clay,WHAT CAN BE DONE to clean canvas?

Ron, I do a lot of slab work and my canvas gets clogged with clay. You can definitely wash the slab roller canvas, but you probably will not get the stain entirely out.

I have a canvas for red and one for white clay. I wash them by hand in a large sink and then lay them out to dry outside on a nice sunny day. Before they are completely dry I iron them to get most of the wrinkles out, the others disappear after I use the canvas the first time after cleaning it. It sounds like a lot of work but canvas is expensive.

Since this is not you personal slab roller you may want to consider buying a new one for the studio.

Denice (Wichita, KS)

You might try taking it to the car wash, hang it on the mat clips, and squirt it really well, then let it dry flat. It might still be stained, but shouldn't transfer to the light colored clay. I've washed silk screens at the car wash, and it works really well.

Sylvia

I'm in a class and while using the slab roller with some clay that was some what wet I stained the canvas,oh my god the instructor had a fit,I suggested washing the canvas but she said it can't be done because it won't dry smooth and will leave marks on the next persons clay,WHAT CAN BE DONE to clean canvas?

If you wash canvas in the washing machine it will get deep wrinkles that are tough to get out. I take my canvases and lay them flat outside on the driveway and spray them down with a hose, then let them dry in the sun. Works great every time.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived