Sign in to follow this  
plumcreative

Electric Kiln Manufacturers: Which Are Best And What To Look For

I appreciate all of the information in this posting regarding kilns.  I am a fine art major preparing to graduate and want to set up a home studio.  We use Skutt kilns and  one massive gas (cone 10 kiln) at school ... I prefer working with high fire pottery and really enjoy the aesthetic benefits of cone10 porcelain.  I enjoy making both large sculptural and smaller functional pieces.  

Regarding kilns, I prefer front-loading kilns.   What steps should I take to have a gas kiln installed?  What are the best types of gas front-loading kilns?

On 6/11/2018 at 2:57 PM, mishelart68 said:

I appreciate all of the information in this posting regarding kilns.  I am a fine art major preparing to graduate and want to set up a home studio.  We use Skutt kilns and  one massive gas (cone 10 kiln) at school ... I prefer working with high fire pottery and really enjoy the aesthetic benefits of cone10 porcelain.  I enjoy making both large sculptural and smaller functional pieces.  

Regarding kilns, I prefer front-loading kilns.   What steps should I take to have a gas kiln installed?  What are the best types of gas front-loading kilns?

You didn't mention your budget. That will make a big difference in what you do. I'll let someone else familiar with the cost of installing gas answer that, but I do think what you said above would be (in my world) an expensive setup, I'm thinking you could approach 20k with a new front load gas and install. I have seen used front loads at SPS in Seattle for 4-5k and if installing gas is a few grand, assuming you don't already have it to your house, then you would be under 10k. If you have the dough for a new set-up these guys might be a place to start your research:

Gas kiln builders

Edited by Stephen