1823 E Olympic Electric Raku Kiln

hershey8

I just acquired a 10-year-old, Olympic raku kiln that has only been fired three times. The body of the kiln raises off the base with a hand-winch and cable. I've never done raku and plan to use it to fire cone 6 stoneware and other clay. The kiln has a 6-key controller (never used one before). Pretty Pumped!  This rig lets you set up and align all of your shelves, posts and ware, and then lower the kiln down on them. Anyone ever used on of these?   ja

So it's electric?

Yes, that's what the "E" is for. (IIRC w/ Oylimpic, E is electric, G -gas, HE- electric cone 10.....but I could very well be wrong...) 

We have one of those she uses to raku; it's not a bad little kiln. I installed an electric winch to make life a little simpler so she can fire it without me. Ours is on a metal "cart" about 6" high off the ground so we can roll it out of the way when not in use. Never had any trouble with it but rally haven't used it a whole lot; maybe 50 firings tops. Sometimes we fire just a single big piece and sometimes smaller ones together.  One thing she has learned is to let it cool down quite a bit (I believe to 600deg) as she has lost a few pieces to being shocked when placed inside when hot. She usually puts the next piece in line on the top to help warm it. We've never shelved anything in it; just a false bottom. I've often wondered if swapping out the hot false bottom with a cool one would help reduce waiting for it to cool but I'm  sure that's not a good thing to do on the shelves. Maybe a piece of wool down first then the bottom would make a swap possible. She is happy and I know better to not rock the boat. :D

How much did you pay for t?

A friend of mine needed some carpentry work done on her studio and hired someone. She said if I would help the other carpenter dude she would give me her kilns. One was this electric raku kiln, which can be used as a regular kiln (up to ^8) and the other was a old paragon high fire electric that looks pretty clean and sound inside. I went for it. Glad I did. j

A friend of mine needed some carpentry work done on her studio and hired someone. She said if I would help the other carpenter dude she would give me her kilns. One was this electric raku kiln, which can be used as a regular kiln (up to ^8) and the other was a old paragon high fire electric that looks pretty clean and sound inside. I went for it. Glad I did. j

You can always buy a stand alone digital controller for the other kiln depending on how many amps it needs. I'm building a controller for one  now to handle 60amps.

You can always buy a stand alone digital controller for the other kiln depending on how many amps it needs. I'm building a controller for one  now to handle 60amps.

I'd appreciate any info on diy controller. Good luck with yours. 60 amps would cover any kiln I have.  ja

Archived