Looking At Used Wheels

Jstock673

I'm currently in the market to purchase a second hand potters wheel. I've been looking on Craigslist daily and finally today came across something that I would consider buying. It is a BRENT C Model and looked to be in good condition. They are asking 750 OBO for it... how does that sound? This is my first time attempting to buy something like this second hand so I'm a little clueless. Is it worth spending that much money on something like this or should I just go ahead and spend the extra bucks to get what I really want, which is a SKUTT wheel? 

BTW I do like Brent. They are what I learned on. I've just heard a lot of people raving about how good the Skutts are, and I just want the best.

The advice will help me... Thanks in advance.

It's half price... If its in good condition, I'd take half price.

The TS wheels are super sweet looking, but I would take half price.

I would take half price until you get your first 6 figure check from making pottery.

and yes, Craig's list is a place to barter, with cash in hand, I probably would kick the tires and offer a few bucks less for the Brent.

Skutt/TS and Brent are on the same level of quality as far as throwing goes from what people have stated on these forums. The TS just has some different things than the Brent does. Mainly the larger splash pan if you go for that model. I have threw off both wheels when I took my first class. I didn't notice any difference. I throw off a TS because I like my large splash pan that I clean like once a week. I don't have running water in my garage so I like to just do it on the nicest day of the week. I open my garage and clean my studio. If I had a brent I would do a lot more cleaning because my splash pan couldn't hold all the trimmings I do every day. I probably have 5-6 lbs of trimmings in my TS right now. Along with my bucket and other stuff sitting in the pan. 

make sure you try out the wheel.  cost is not the only consideration.  try it with a largish piece of your clay, well wedged, and see if the speed stays where you want it when you set it.  listen to the noise it makes.  could you stand to hear that all day?

Thank you for the feedback. I am going to look at it on Sunday. I will probably buy it. She said 760OBO   So I wonder what I should ask for then? I will ask her if she will take 500 and hopfully end up spending no more than 600.  

Then I will go buy my professional Skutt wheel when I start making my 6 figures from all the beautiful pottery I will making.  ;P

I think 500 is a good solid offer-the 600$ is more than fair. 

We do not know how old it is?Does it have the 14 inch wheel head or the smaller 12 inch?

I started my clay career with a model C and still own and use it and its over 40 years old.

That said its had a few upgrades like a 14 inch wheel head and a new motor and controller and foot pedal (its was a 1st generation Brent which is different from todays wheels)

• 1 month later...

So an update on the wheel. I will be going to pick it up Tuesday. I'm pretty excited. Its a 5 year old wheel, but in very good condition. And yes it has the 14" wheel head Mark C. One question I did want to ask you guys. I'm planning on going alone to pick it up. The lady whom I'm buying it from told me she cannot help me lift it. Do you think it could be lifted by one person and put into my truck? Thanks again everyone! and I hope to be posting more on here now that I'll be getting my little studio up and running again.

Archived