Footings for pots

MarkS

Not sure if this is the terminology or not...

I've thought about making some flat biscuit size rounds of clay maybe 3/16" thick to use under pots when glaze firing thinking maybe I can do away with having to wax a small edge on the bottoms side of a pot.

Just wanted some input on the idea and thoughts on how many firings these may last. Any downsides other than glaze running on shelves?

Thanks!

Those are generally referred to as "cookies" and are to protect the shelf from a glaze that may run off the pot onto a shelf. I also put kiln wash on mine to keep a runny glaze form sticking too hard to the cookie (although I have been lucky and not needed the cookie.)

However, cookies are not a replacement for keeping the glaze up off the bottom of the pot a ways to keep from sticking a pot down on the shelf with a glaze run. There are other ways besides waxing to keep glaze off of the foot, but waxing (although somewhat tedious if done with a brush) is a good one. You can wipe the glaze off (I facilitate this by placing the foot of my pot in shallow water to my "wax line" for a bit before dipping a pot, and since the bottom is saturated the glaze wipes right off.) You can use melted wax in a shallow heating device (typically an electric frying pan), if you are very careful not to let the wax hit the flashpoint. Or you can fashion a low pile carpet topped batt to scrub the glaze off the dipped pot. Or you can learn to love waxing ;-) I wax using the wheel, the pot upside down and one of the 1 inch foam brushes, all which help me to get a true wax line.

John

Archived