Icheon Master - How Does He Do That? Kim Seong-Tae

Last night when insomnia raged, about 2AM, I found a video of the Icheon masters right here, on this site, and I fell down that rabbit hole for about an hour. Of all of the potters, this potters work fascinated me the most. He is carving away layers, and it seems like he had at least 3 or 4 layers of color on his work. I am thinking this is slip??? I'd love to know what it is. It is an achingly beautiful piece of pottery. 

Thanks! 

Nancy

Layers of slip.  Michael Sherrill uses a similar technique for his sculptural work (yep, the Mud Tools guy).  The key is learning the thickness of each layer and then carving based on the thickness. 

And they are colored? Just exquisite. It really re-inspired me for pottery. And they look so calm and totally focused when doing it. Just amazing. 

Very nice traditional work.  Slip is great stuff; you can do so much with slip, especially if, like me, you like a lot of subtle variation in your surfaces.

There are some great pots in the past that rely on this kind of subtractive slip work-- often white slip on dark stoneware.

Yes, it's colored slip. If you would like to see Seong-Tae and four other Korean master potters they will be in Canada early this summer.

They are amazing.

Really??? Do you know where the information on this can be found? I would love to see them!! 

Archived