Drawings On Plates-Underglaze On Glaze Fired To Cone 10

My assistant threw and drew these over a year ago and we just fired them last month. They are underglazes on top of a cone ten white glaze fired in reduction to cone 10 on the cool side. The bright one stokes held up color wise at high temps which amazed me.I'm sure its also tough to draw on top of a powdery glaze.

These are her work all the way around.I just fired them

post-8914-0-48613300-1452540079_thumb.jpg

post-8914-0-48613300-1452540079_thumb.jpg

So, you said she put the underglazes on top of the glaze? And these were low-fire underglazes?

What is the brand name?

I am looking for a good yellow for bird beaks at cone 10. Tried Mason stains-no good.

TJR.

ok, mark you need to clarify.  is the brand name the old one "One Stroke"  or is it an underglaze of some other brand name?  

the newer "Stroke n Coat" is a glaze, shiny glaze to put over an unfired glaze or maybe even a fired one.  i use these all the time for the empty bowls with flowers on them.  they work like watercolors.

i love the fluffy pale cat.

I'll ask her for the specifics and post them. Its our time off so give me some days to run this down.I have no idea as they where done out of my studio a year ago I just fired them last month when they where brought in. I have not used low fire stuff in decades-there are all cone 10 on top of a white glaze all fired at same time.

She is a cat person and these show that well.

Mark, your assistant did lovely work! I'd be interested in knowing if they are Stroke in Coats, I've been looking at that line and want to get a few bottle to experiment with and see what they can do.

T

Oh and I agree you made her wait how long to get them fired? Geez you are a mean boss! (Just kidding)

T

Hey folks I did not know she even had these? She brought them a few days before my last fire and I fit them right in NO WAITING.

She said she did them over a year ago and glazed them and stacked them and forgot about them for over year at home. I would never make her wait. One last note she rides her bike about 80% on the year to studio so she waited until December to drive them out. She lives 5 miles away.She makes her own cat mugs for the animal shelter fund raisers and I fire them straight away as any of her own work gets fired for free as always.

You want your work fired come work for me-one word of caution can you handle 60 mugs in a few hours? or wax a kiln load in same about of time?Well after just a few trips out on the whaleship Liscom Hill you to will be able to do all this. Voyages are 8 months long with hard tack and water taken out of your pay.

TJR,  the inclusion stains are brilliant at cone 6.  maybe they can go to 10.

oldlady;

I have tried the inclusion red when I was at the Archie Bray. Didn't think to try yellow at that point. My supplier doesn't stock them-only Mason stains. Will have to order direct from the manufacturer.

I don't want to order a pile of stain that doesn't work in cone 10 reduction.

TJR.

This may sound odd but I have turned down many a teaching gig. I'm a studio potter making pots for sale. That's it in a nut shell.

If you notice I never say much about how to throw on those how to threads.

I feel this is taught best in a classroom situation not on the net. My family where teachers I chose not to be one concously

Another local potter years ago wanted to have us teach pottery here at the studio ( before the cone 6 craze started)

I had less than zero interest and still do. I.m content making my 35 piece line of work and selling it

Yes teaching is easier in many ways but it's not what I want to do.

I'll leave it to the private art centers which have sprung up like weeds around the country now to teach pottery.

I like making and selling the work best. As I got older I like to give back some of that long hard road of hard knocks knowledge so I.m doing some of that here now.

Answering how to make your toaster into a cone 6 kiln or how to throw plates with no wheel or whatever

Ok 

That was an amaro product-intense yellow-V931

it was applied over a cone 10 white glaze and fired at same time

\https://www.amaco.com/products/v-391-intense-yellow-underglaze

I saw the test tile which was fired in my kiln last year today.I just was not paying attention as this area of underglaze is not my area of work.

Many of these colors hold up to cone 10

Min makes a good point but thats not very surprising as oranges and yellows usually have bad things in them. Or they used to and I bet its still the same now.

In this application it fluxed into the non toxic white glaze below  but to be on the safe side you could airbrush a thin clear over it to lock it in.

My guess is these are more decrotive plates that she made for the wall not the table.

Archived