How Many Of You Are Using Ceramic Arts Daily As A Resource

ceramics Arts Daily provides a daily potting of technical information. tHe PC Board often wonders if people from the forum are using it. iF so, what have been some of your favorite gems.

i have two

the Litho technique for transferring photo images onto leather hard clay

And using Mylar wrapping paper as a slip dispenser for decorating.

Any others you like?

marcia

Filling in for Evelyne who has no internet for a few days.

thanks for the reminder, marcia.  where was that mylar slip thingy?  it came up at a particularly busy time and being not a computer lover, a dern, (nerd=dern) i do not know how to "store" stuff to look at later.

EDIT AT 12:40 SAME DAY, LESS THAN AN HOUR LATER!

continued to read various posts and cannot believe that joseph, (grype) led me accidentally to the video of the mylar applicators!  i have saved it with a bookmark.  this forum is great!

I do! I do! I do!!! One of my favorites is one of your vids, Marcia! The one about how to make and apply terra sigillatta! (sp?) That's my go to vid when I'm having a brain fart. Yes, they happen all too often. <_<

I often draw inspiration from everything from the videos to the member galleries. Any new members coming into the community guild studio, here in Spokane, are often pointed in the direction of CAD and the forums, by me! Such a wealth of information and folks so ready to lend a virtual hand! I don't know where I would be without CAD, the forums and all of the wonderful members here! I certainly wouldn't be as far along (meager though that may be) as I am now. :wub:

I may not post as often as I would like to, (life circumstances being what they are right now) but just about every spare moment I have, I spend here, perusing the galleries, the videos and comments and questions in the forums. I hope this place continues FOREVER!! Long live CAD!!!! :wub:  :wub:  :wub:

I get the emails every day, and I usually look over the title; if it's something I'm not interested in I delete without opening. But I would say 30-50% of the time it's something I am interested in, so I use my Promotions inbox as storage for reference. I often go back through my email to find that one article. The ones I've really liked I watch more than once. 

I loved the demo that Adam Field did on throwing; I tend to watch these 30, 40, 50 year potters throw a cup in four seconds and I like how deliberate he is, and he doesn't mind trimming to get the form he wants. 

There was another one about slab building with curves that I stood out in my mind, I can't remember the name of the artist. 

Other than that, I always find the videos and articles informative and inspiring. Even if it's a process I don't normally use ... or use all the time! ... I always take something new away from it. 

Great source of info for me. Isolated, no potters around so the gems which are passed on here and Daily are really appreciated as is the generous spirit of folks who remain with this forum.

I don't do this stuff loved the animal sculptor who shared her techniques.

Have looked at some of the crystalline glaze articles over the years. Not a lot of information, but then again it is probably the least popular of all the glazes, so I do not expect much time to be given to it. Have looked through other articles of interest- mostly high fire.

Nerd

I love this forum and CAD. I get the daily emails, love to watch the videos. It has introduced me to so many new ideas, techniques and artists. It's a wonderful community. I am one of those who do high fire, reduction porcelain, so it seems that many of the articles deal with mid-and low fire techniques. But it's still inspiring.

I use to get the daily e-mails but haven't received them for a long time.  I love the video's I can watch them and see if it is a area that I want to learn more about.  I have also downloaded all of the glaze recipes  and other misc. files.    Denice

I read the e-mails every day, watch one or two videos a week.  

I prefer the videos to the "book excerpts".  

I too save/bookmark and often go back through the lists found at the bottom of the "home?" page.  Particularly in insomnia phases.  (Yes, I have headphones so I don't disturb the snorer who keeps me awake - how considerate of me - grrrr.)

Favourites - tools, templates, printing

i tried to stop only the daily emails re books but it cancelled them all.   thank you, but i have all the books and do not plan to buy many more.  daily reminders of what i already have are annoying.

if anyone in the cad office reads this.,,,you don't really think you have thousands of members, do you?

I consistently find inspiration from the CAD feed. Even if a subject may not be of interest at the moment, just knowing that something came through may be a reminder to search when I may need that bit of information. Even the more commercial advertisements of books and videos typically have a teaser that are frequently useful. I love being able to search an archive of the depth CAD provides.

John

I really enjoy the daily and the weekly recap emails. I will look through them quickly and if something catches my attention I will follow the link and watch the video, read the excerpt, etc.

When I find something I am really interested in I will check out the video or book andirons I like it add it to my list of what I want for Christmas. Being out here in a very small town there is a lack of workshops and such to learn new more detailed techniques. I also like having video or book on hand to refresh my memory which can't be done after workshop is over. Most of the video downloads I have purchased from CAD I first discovered due to an email from CAD. The videos I have bought because of the emails so far:

Erin Furimsky

Justin Rothshank

Chandra Debuse

Kari Radasch

Jason Bige-Burnett

Meredith Host

Paul Wandless

I also subscribe to Ceramics Monthly and Pottery Making Illustrated. I subsribed to both of these when I first got the pottery bug but let the subscription lag. CM at that point was way beyond my level of understanding and even PMI was often over my head. After I no longer got them the emails would come in and cover a bit of an article from one of the magazines and leave me wanting more so this year I again invested in subscriptions to both and am enjoying them immensely now that I have a bit more knowledge and can understand them more.

I have also purchased books:

Clay:A Studio Handbook

Ceramic Transfer Printing

There is a Cone 6 Glaze Book but can't remember the title right now as well as a few others I discovered through CAD.

This may all seem like a great amount of expense but I look at it this way...

EDUCATION IS NEVER A BAD INVESTMENT

1 workshop is usually $200 plus gas, food, hassles of being away from the house, etc. traveling to conferences and workshops is really difficult for me at this stage in life so the more I can learn right here the better.

A video, book or printed magazine I can keep as a resource for years so for example if I am not currently mixing my own glazes I have the resources to do so once I am ready.

So I really enjoy the mails.

Terry

• 2 weeks later...

This is my only source of information.  I look around my studio and see lots of influence ... the pug mill, electric slab, rolling racks, my L&L kilns .... just to mention a few.   Learned a lot about processing and techniques too.   I like the emails and watch many of the videos.

I've been an avid reader since I started my pottery journey 1 1/2 years ago. I go onto the site daily and 9 times out of 10 I read through the dailies and watch the vids. I also have CAD on my YouTube subscription list. I constantly use it as a resource and in Dec last year started to post to the forum, the replies I've had are so extremely helpful and I love reading what everyone else is up to.

I find CAD and all of the no-cost features invaluable. I am fairly isolated, not building a career, on a frightfully limited budget, and in a little home studio. Electronic communication is essential to me. All of the CAD resources keep me going, inspire me, teach me, entertain me, and infuse my spirit with appreciation for the generosity, expertise, and journeys of other ceramists.

Archived