Reliable Cone 6 Temmoku Glaze Recipe Oxidation

I did record a little bit of footage once of testing but that never made it anywhere, I do have a few tests that I need to run so I will keep it in mind and try to make somekind of tutorial for you to watch :D right now I am a little confused being out the studio with how pottery fits into my life but I will slowly find its place.

It would be appreciated! You will figure out the studio thing man. People have been making beautiful pottery out of random places forever. I work out of my garage and then I spray in a little shed behind my house now. So I carry boards of pots through my house to my backyard. I just do what ever it takes cause I am obsessed!

In other news! : I am going to have to order a new scale as well. My scale wont go low enough. The articles I have been reading said that you add like 1/3 a percent of carbide per batch. So if I am making 100G batches we talking about .33 grams. which my current scale doesn't read! 

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Regarding the 325 mesh silicon carbide, it may be too coarse and the effect will be lots of craters and color spots. If you want 800 or 1000 mesh, go to a jewelry/lapidary abrasive supplier. There is some on Amazon even.

Yea, I am doing this now as I want to test both. If the 325 ends up being terrible I will just use the crater glaze on some bonsai pots or something. Thanks for the tip. Checking amazon now as I have a Prime account.

I can't seem to find any for good shipping prices and the ones I do find want like 20 dollars to ship a # in the mail. Bit absurd.

For future references for people looking for it. This was the best place I could find for a reasonable shipping charge for 7.50. 

http://www.arrowheadlapidarysupply.com/catalog/index.php?catunid=67

I ordered a 1200Grit for 19.75 shipped. Ended up being more expensive than I was hoping but 1# will last a long long time. 

• 8 months later...

Hello everyone!

I'm new to the ceramics and glazing world so I've be researching like crazy. I just watched a video from Simon Leach and he gave a recipe for temmoku that may be of help...I hope anyway!

86 oz feldspar

24 oz EPK

28 oz Whiting

4 oz Zinc oxide

40 oz flint

18 oz red iron oxide

He didn't say how much water he put in, but it was a small bucket, maybe a gallon? He added more in the second video which he shows the mixing.

I had to google temmoku to see what color it actually was LOL :D

Archived