Mocha Diffusion With A Twist

jrgpots

I really love the fern-like patterns of mocha diffusion slip technique. I had an idea using this technique and wondered if anyone here had ever tried it.

My idea it this:

1. Throw a very thin translucent vessel.

2. Apply mocha slip to the outside.

3. While the slip is still wet, apply small amounts of a mild acidic solution which has no stain or colorant.

The dendritic effects will form without any colorants.

So, this is my question.....if the vessel were then fired, would the dendritic pattern show up as a translucent fern pattern where the slip had been etched away?

If anyone has tried this, please share. John Baymore has said that just about everything has been tried already. If so....would this work?

Jed

As others have said, try it and see. In my limited experience playing with the technique for students (just to show them, not claiming any serious expertise other than it worked for the students), I didn't notice any particular displacement of the slip by the colored acidic solution.It is just a very very very localized flocculation condition that carries the colorant between the alkaline clay particles.

I think I will get there in baby steps.

1. Do a successful traditional mocha diffusion with colorants so I know I'm getting the fern-like pattern.

2. Then try using a very light blue slip over white clay body and no colorant to see if the white clay body is visible.

3. If the second trial works, then I will do the white slip over translucent porcelain and no colorant in the mocha mix.

Jed

docweathers (Larry) has done a lot of testing with mocha diffusion, haven't seen him on the forum for a bit but maybe send him a PM? He tries just about anything and everything so maybe he's had a go at what you are going to test? 

Archived