MERL

I fired (04) my kiln last night (Skutt KS Manual) and everything went fine.

It did cut off at the appropriate time, BUT the sitter switch did not fall. (Which is weird.) The timer still had 3 hours left and the breaker was not blown. 

When I tried to test and see if the kiln could be turned back on this morning, it won't respond at all.

No lights, no noise, nothing.  I just put new elements in the kiln in the fall.

I don't know a lot about the electrical or "how it works" of kilns, so anyone with ideas or advice will be a great help and much appreciated.  Thank You!

totally not a tech person.   without an answer, more questions.  why are you trying to turn it back on?  is the kiln still hot?  have you opened it? are you trying to refire? why did it turn off?

it sounds as if the sitter is in control, i think. which would mean you have to look inside and see what happened to prevent the weight from falling and turning it off.

after it is open and you can see what happened, call Skutt. 

I was trying to turn it back on, to see if it would; since it cut off without timer or weight.  The kiln is still hot, cut off around 2am. I have not opened it. It's still too hot. I am not trying to re-fire at the moment, just simply trying to see if the kiln was operable, since it shut off for no real reason. I have no idea why it turned off; seeing as the weight did not drop and the timer still had 3 hours left.  I am just dumbfounded by the whole thing.

I am waiting until it cools to check the inside.

I'm sure I'll end up having to call a professional. Just wondered if anyone had ever had this happen to their kiln and what the issue may have been while I wait.  :)

Thanks!

Is there a fuse on your kiln? Not referring to the breaker box, but rather some kilns have their own fuses that will trigger during a power surge, or other similar event. If your kiln has a fuse that triggered, it would explain the behavior.

Is the breaker tripped?
That means the switch is in the 1/2 way position on breaker?

if the push button is still on and cone sitter has not tripped and switches are on then its in the supply side most likely downstream of kiln-breakers come 1st or toasted wires or melted parts?

Thank you everyone for the feedback and help!

Problem solved! There was an old/loose wire inside the plug for the wall outlet that had done some minor melting of the plastic and was not connecting enough to carry power. We replaced the plug and the kiln is up and running again. Just glad it wasn't worse!  :)

Did you check the wires, too? Often when a plug melts out, the wires feeding it also sustain some damage. If they are crispy at all, they should be replaced. Also check the plug and power cord on the kiln. Sometimes bad things work their way down the line and do damage in more than one spot.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived