Vessel Sink

terrim8

I made a vessel sink for our bathroom. It has been ok for two years but recently a small chip appeared on one edge! It is stoneware, sort of an all purpose grey stoneware, fired to cone 9/10. Any advice for making a sturdier sink? Is it technique- perhaps pressing the rim harder? Better stoneware clay or maybe porcelain? Better glaze? Any advice before I try again will be appreciated.

I would like to see a picture of the sink, including a close up of the chipped area. If it is a rim compression problem, the chipping will give a clue. Otherwise, as Mark has eluded to, there might be ways of protecting the rim from chipping in the future. 

best,

Pres

The sink has a clear cone 9/10 glaze (I forget which one!) over a stained leaf pattern. A new sink will give me a better chance to match up with the limestone-shell countertop. I don't know how it was chipped but the edge is perhaps too sharp. It sits on top of the counter.

post-67248-0-92412200-1451522275_thumb.jpg

post-67248-0-92412200-1451522275_thumb.jpg

I agree completely that that rim is way to thin for s sink

This is one area that thick is better in all places on the bowl.

This apears to be a stand on top of the counter sink as well which makes it vonerable to everything so it needs to be beefy

I am taking notes: been wanting to add sinks to my menu. I have seen a couple of sinks done in crystalline glaze_ Beauuuttiful. Notice I am not going out for New Years Eve- was in the ditch 3 times a ten years ago dodging drunk drivers. Not been out since.

Nerd

Archived