Rehydrated/reclaimed Clay Question

Foxden

I have bags of clay that have never been used and have dried out, bone dry. I typically reconstitute them rather easily and put it them use as needed.

My question is "is this ten year or more old dry clay considered aged? Or does the aging process only apply to wet clays?"

Kaolin, ball clay, feldspar, silica, bentonites, calcined clays, grog, : point being everything mixed to make a clay is a natural earth material. It has been in the ground long before someone dug it up and processed it. It can sit in the bag dried for fifty years. I have had clay close to the leather-hard state in the bag. I just cut it up into 2" cubes and cover it with water overnight. Drain the next morning, and work it back to a pliable form. Or. if you had a pugger........... One trick is to use your slab roller: just work it through the roller, fold, roll, fold, roll... let it work it down---saves the hands.

Glaze nerd

Then a least it has several years of aging on it since it was wrapped in plastic and didn't dry out overnight. I do make most of my clays from dry materials and the reclaimed dried out clay does seem to throw better.

Archived