Who Is Attending Nceca This Year? (Spring 2016)

curt

Guest JBaymore

Welcome to the forums, Carole.

You have to ask yourself how much appeal that the NCECA program other than looking at / trying wheels might offer you....as you evaluate that 12 hour drive. 

If you have not gone here...... you can check out what is being offered: http://nceca.net/2016-kansas-city/

Most people seem to find NCECA conferences pretty amazing.  There will be about 5000 people there as crazy about clay as you are ;) .

best,

.....................john

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello again,

Cleveland is the nearest city that I have checked. I have called around to stores within 50 miles and while they have the wheels, the stores did not have a studio or a wheel set up.  I have called some pottery "studio" places and most have the brent wheels which is what the college has.  I have a kick wheel my father helped me make in the 70's, but I have arthritic knees and do not think I could use it without some real problems. I was thinking I would like to see the Steven Hill Skutt wheel since it offers the option of adjusting the height of the wheel and of standing up.  

No one seems to have one available to look at-- just to order.  Someone in my class said t the conference is a great resource for beginners, and he believed that I could try out wheels, but I did not see that listed when I was trying to look through the conference information.  I am pretty sure it would be really exciting and possibly offer so much I would not know where to begin, but am not sure it would be beneficial for someone whose been away from potting for 30 years and has just been working on throwing for less than a year. 

I am going to go over to Ohio Ceramics in Ravena, OH they have a shimpo vl light I can look at so see how the shimpos are--although I do not think I want that one.

I picked up 1000 pounds of Frost in Blyesville, Oh. as I was passing through Ohio many years ago. It is made there.That is a really big plant.Very nice people.

I drove it back to Montana.I had to bring it into my hotel room one night because of freezing weather. The hotel loaned me a dolly.Anyone interested in the upcoming NCECA conference should start reading the daily blog. Lots of things happening.

http://blog.nceca.net/three-weeks-to-go-we-are-setting-the-table

Marcia

Hello again,

Someone wrote somewhere that on the last day of the conference, the wheel vendors sell their wheels greatly discounted so they do not have to transport them home.  Does anyone know anything about this?

I am still toying with attending the conference because it sounds really exciting, informative, and helpful in general and like it would be an outstanding experience. 

Thank you,

Carole

Dang, you must have missed Evelyne's earlier post on  page 3 of this strand: ^_^

There will also be a member reception on Wednesday, March 16 from 5-7pm, also at the Marriott, in the Barney Allis Lobby.

best,

Pres

hmmm wonder if a wheel will set in a Mazda 3 5-door?  :wacko:

Pres

I have an old Chevy Cavalier, and I push back the passenger seat and a Clay Boss will fit right in sideways. I could and would tie it to the roof, but would be afraid it might cause several hundred dollars worth of improvements!!!

Have fun at the big event! Pass out business cards and collect them too!

See ya,

Alabama

Since I have two wheels, I won't be toooo tempted. However, I will see what I can scarf up. I will be looking at the etched wooden rollers as they do neat things when pressed in to a cylinder before shaping. I also will be looking for some texture mats for the same thing. I will take some business cards, Alabama, that is a great idea. I think I might even have some mugs for the sale this year.

best,

Pres

Evelyne:

We sat Wednesday as the closing date on the office months ago. I am trying to change a few things around so I might be able to get back to KC later afternoon Wednesday. Already have 2 extremely red T-shirts made up with "GlazeNerd" embroidered over the pocket. I prefer to wear my "labels". B)

Nerd

Its 9:41 pm in KC- Sunday. The hotel is very nice, seeing all kinds of pottery types roaming the lounge. Had dinner with Ron Roy and Liz and a nearly a three hour conversation about clay bodies. Will be leaving Tuesday afternoon, and back again late Thursday.

Nerd

This is our crew that loaded the soda kiln. The anagama took 2 days and several crews to load.

post-1954-0-53207900-1457958129_thumb.jpgpost-1954-0-28243500-1457958146_thumb.jpgspending a week in Lawrence at the pre-conference wood firings.Finished the soda kiln last night. The train kiln finished the night before. Working the 10-4 shift on the anagama kiln today. Having a great time and spending time with friends.we did 2 10-4 am shifts on Thurs. and Sat.

post-1954-0-53207900-1457958129_thumb.jpg

post-1954-0-28243500-1457958146_thumb.jpg

Archived