Who Is Attending Nceca This Year? (Spring 2016)

curt

Met TJR at John's lecture. . . much more than a talk to me. I enjoyed every minute of it. Presentation was relaxed and informative, professional yet personal, and in the end I learned a lot about Chowan and Japanese tea bowls.

best,

PRes

I have watched this slideshow/lecture like 5 times. I am actually talking my wife into trying the whole process out with me as I like to make those forms a lot. 

I hope to go to one of these events in the future right now I don't have the time to go though.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest JBaymore

Met TJR at John's lecture. . . much more than a talk to me. I enjoyed every minute of it. Presentation was relaxed and informative, professional yet personal, and in the end I learned a lot about Chowan and Japanese tea bowls.

best,

PRes

I have watched this slideshow/lecture like 5 times. I am actually talking my wife into trying the whole process out with me as I like to make those forms a lot. 

I hope to go to one of these events in the future right now I don't have the time to go though.

Joseph....... glad you found my NCECA Chawan lecture useful.

There is an Urasenke association in Atlanta.  Contact the main organization to get particulars.  http://www.urasenke.or.jp/texte/world/branches_associations.html

best,

.....................john

Hi John, thanks. I know the logistics must be a nightmare and no there is no easy answer. Also great to hear your lecture was standing room only! I did write to Cynthia. It was just very frustrating when you could only stand in the hall and have the Fire Marshall move you along, repeatedly. To show up 15-30 minutes early and not get in the entire first day and partial second day was not good. The other lecture I ran to; Where to find potassium for glazes. Was cancelled. It worked out because several others were standing there and it started up a pretty good conversation in the hall. Ended up at Chris Gustins studio and gallery and that was great. So not always what you think you're going to get but have never walked away from Nceca without great information, gifts and pots! Looking forward to this one too!

Sandy;

I got together with Pres at John's lecture which was great by the way. We had no trouble finding space to enjoy the lectures. Really enjoyed the memories of past greats. Sounds funny[peculiar] to say that. Quite moving. I did not know the dif. between a Chowan and a tea bowl. Great info, John.

TJR.

I t was the hat that tipped me off to meeting Preston. It wouldn't have worked the other way. I don't stand out in a crowd.

T.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest JBaymore

Im there....and presenting   :D .  This one's going to be fantastic

Congratulations.    Date / time/ topic?

best,

...................john

I did look at a map to find out how far...12 hours drive! If I can't make it 12 hours I certainly can't make it to Portland next year! I might have to wait till its held in Wetumpka! :). I even thought about taking flying lessons and renting a plane... I think you only pay for time in the air. I'm already bad about leaving the right blinker on when I drive, and probably would do the same in the plane!!;)

One year at the Alabama Clay Conference, I volunteered to fire two native clay bowls during the lunch break. The idea was to demonstrate a firing of an oxidation and reduction. So one bowl was plain(for reduction) and one was painted for oxidation. I think one bowl was 10 inches across and the painted bowl was about 12 inches across..

I started with 2 fires so you could see both sequences at the same time. They both came out fine, and the conference continued when lunch was over.

AUM and the Auburn in Montgomery Student Association helped with the conference!

See ya,

Alabama

Only 14 hours-thats a snap

I'm only 1923 miles  at  29 hours  the web says but they always low ball this location and it takes longer or a two day bunch of flights.Whichever is easier.

Pres I will miss you-I wish I had met you and Tom Roberts last year

Maybe Portland next year (its only 8 hours north) if I bail out of my Spring AZ art show which is my plan at this point.

Alabama-you only pay for time in the plane after you solo. I got to that point long ago (18 years old) and of all things bought a potters wheel at the same time. Seems clay kept me grounded.I wanted to operate a glider and at that time you needed a power license to get there-now its a glider deal all the way.

I figure on making Portland, it will be my last year on council. I hope to see lots of those I met last year, and some new faces too. I really wanted to meet you in person Mark, as many others I have met on the forums.

best,

pres

Guest JBaymore

I am presenting too, John

Blinc 20/20

Thursday March 17th, 4.05 p.m.

Room:

3501G+H

Are you coming? :D

Evelyne

Congratulations.

best,

..............john

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I think I'm going to go.  My old friend Stanley Hurst is a vendor there.  Last year he offered me a ride to RI, which I was dumb enough to turn down.  This year I'll have to turn down the ride too, but it's because my brother is in Topeka, and I'd like to visit after.

This will be my first NCECA... looking forward.

You will have your mind blown by all the pottery talk going on, the shows, lectures, panels, and the vendors exhibition.

This will be about my 40+ something NCECA. I hate to miss them.

So be prepared to go from early morning til late at night and stop by the Potters Council booth. One of us will be there at all times.

Marcia

My planned week long visit has been blown apart by several factors. I will be there on the 15th for private lessons from Ron Roy to resolve the last of my custom clay issues. Then I will be gone, but hopefully will drive back on the 17th so I can heckle the speakers. Had been looking forward to a week long educational vacation, but life happens.

Nerd

I agree with John on that one. I was lucky enough to assist in choosing some pieces from the show for the potters council awards. It was a tough decision. A local from my area(Central PA) quite a famous guy is the juror for the K-12-Jack Troy.

best,

Pres

It is always a great show. But there will be many more...too many to be able to see. The gallery shows at the convention center include 18 Hands, Red Lodge Clayart Center, the Air Stream trailer and more.The vast selection of panels and lectures are sure to fit your niche and check out the resource room. There are also live demos going all day.I leave on Mar. 6th to go to the pre-conference events. Very excited.

Marcia

Hello,

I am new and this is my first post. I have been reading and reading these discussions on a wide variety of topics. I am taking a ceramics class at my local college and am trying to revisit my days of throwing pottery. Due to my limitations and age, I want to buy a wheel because I cannot sit for 5 hours straight during the open studio time at the college. I have looked for months on Craigs list and ebay with no success. I have read everything on these forums about trying out a wheel, but I cannot find places near me that have different wheels. Everyone seems to have the Brents. I am thinking maybe I should go to this conference to see the various wheels in person, maybe find out if I could hear them run--not sure if they will let you try them out. I was originally thinking I would just go to the vendor area and not the various talks; however, now after reading more on this tread I am wondering if that would be a huge mistake. It will take me nearly 12 hours to drive and I will probably need to do it over 2 days so that I am able to walk the Resource Hall. Any advice? 

Carole

Hello,

I am new and this is my first post. I have been reading and reading these discussions on a wide variety of topics. I am taking a ceramics class at my local college and am trying to revisit my days of throwing pottery. Due to my limitations and age, I want to buy a wheel because I cannot sit for 5 hours straight during the open studio time at the college. I have looked for months on Craigs list and ebay with no success. I have read everything on these forums about trying out a wheel, but I cannot find places near me that have different wheels. Everyone seems to have the Brents. I am thinking maybe I should go to this conference to see the various wheels in person, maybe find out if I could hear them run--not sure if they will let you try them out. I was originally thinking I would just go to the vendor area and not the various talks; however, now after reading more on this tread I am wondering if that would be a huge mistake. It will take me nearly 12 hours to drive and I will probably need to do it over 2 days so that I am able to walk the Resource Hall. Any advice? 

Carole

There may be clay stores/retailers closer by than a 12-hour drive to visit NCECA. And, my understanding is there is a fee for entering just vendors/resource hall. What is your location? We may be able to suggest some places closer for you to visit or pottery studios to visit.

Archived